favorite places in mexico

Mar 17th, 2002, 06:49 AM
rey

favorite places in mexico

we are planning a trip to mexico for this summer. We have never been we are two adults and two boys (5 and 10). We like to swim, hike, shop, sightsee. WE are looking for an authentic feel of mexico and like to stay in a nice (not 5 star) hotel with pool. Don't want the acapulco or cancun scene. Any reccomendations. What about weather that time of year?

Mar 17th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Monica

You might want to look into Playa del Carmen. One nice thing about Playa, is that on any given day but especially on Sundays, many of the local families are on the beach. I would recommend the Porto Real-it has a pool and located in a good place. You can hike north on the beach for miles and swim and snorkel. June is a good time to go-it will be hot but if you plan on spending the hottest part of the day on the beach, the trade winds make it very comfortable. I would suggest mornings to the ruins and early evening to Xacret, which has a fantastic night show-will get the culture here. Been going for 13 years so if you would like more information, feel free to e-mail me.

Mar 17th, 2002, 11:09 AM
dan

Try www.mexicomexico.info

Mar 18th, 2002, 01:41 PM
a couple ideas

Along the Pacific coast you might consider Puerto Vallarta or Ixtapa/Zijuatenejo. At least along this coast I think the weather is generally hot and a bit humid during the summer months with some rain.

Mar 18th, 2002, 03:47 PM
Kim

I agree with Monica...Playa del Carmen is a wonderful location. we always stay at the Gran Porto Real. it's a smaller resort than the ones in the Playacar district, but VERY nice & close to town. the pool is right on the beach. they have a kids club if your kids are interested in that. we've also stayed in Cozumel & it was nice. of course we were diving all day long everyday. in Playa, you have a lot of choices of things to do...or do nothing at all.
Kim

Mar 19th, 2002, 05:40 AM
Parrot Mom

Playa de Carmen is a tourist trap.. try Cozumel or Puerta Vallarta. PV is touristy, yet charming, the shops,the art galleries, the beaches, the people and restaurants along the Malecon. Cozumel is small enough that you can rent a jeep and explore the island, avoid the days the cruise ships are downtown and have an ice cream behind the Zolca along the Malecon. Wonderful restaurants so an all inclusive isn't necessary. Haven't been to Ixtapa yet..

Mar 19th, 2002, 08:09 AM
Susan

I wouldn't really categorize Playa del Carmen as a tourist trap, but then again, we never stay in big resorts. It has become much more touristy, but the nice thing about it is the accessibility to other places, activities, etc.

I love Cozumel and have been there several times as well. It isn't as good for swimming, but the snorkling is wonderful.

I haven't been back to Puerto Vallarta in 15 years. It was very touristy back then and I can't imagine that would have changed. I've heard that Bucerias just outside of PV is nice.

I wouldn't recommend Ixtapa, but I would recommend Zihautanejo (that's actually where you fly into that area). It's quite charming, whereas Ixtapa is just a resort town.

Personally I wouldn't chose to go to Mexico in the summer at all. It's a winter destination for me. There are so many other places to visit in the summer, but if that's the only time you can go, I think Zihautanejo might be ok.

Mar 19th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Nancy

With kids:

Cozumel
Akumal
Playa del Carmen... in that order.

(You could combine two or all three easily too...)

Mar 20th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Clarisa

Puerto Vallarta has an extremely charming downtown (El Centro) and neighborhood "south of the river" called "old town". The fancy resorts, golf courses, etc. are located out in Nuevo Vallarta and The Marina. This area is a good 15-30 mins. by taxi or local bus away from the part of town I refer to. Old Town fits exactly what Rey describes in her/his post!!

Mar 20th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Clarisa

The weather is hot and humid along the Mexican Pacific coast during the summer months, with some rain.

Mar 20th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Diane

My very first trip to Mexico was to a lovely (but older) resort in Manzanillo (Pacific side south of Puerto Vallarta by several hours) called Club Maeva. It was very Mexican and attracted many Mexican families as well as Canadians and Americans. The accommodations there suited families extremely well because it was built into a hillside and each "unit" was like a townhouse style "Villa" and each row was higher and higher up the hillside. The result was that we had a unit that had two floors. On the main floor was a bathroom, bedroom, living room, kitchen and the most enormous patio (easily sits 10). Every night, we sat on the patio/balcony and watched the sunset over the ocean. Absolutely beautiful! The upper floor (a very narrow winding staircase with a european feel) had a full bath and master bedroom. The resort was extremely large and spread out and had an olympic sized pool. To reach the beach, they built a walkway overpass because there is a road between the resort and the beach but you didn't notice because of this pedway. Once on the beach, there was a restaurant/bathrooms/beach grill restaurant/bar for the hotel patrons. The entire resort was VERY MEXICAN and we loved it! The nightly shows were the best we have ever seen anywhere and we've been to many all inclusive resorts. This was rated a 3 1/2 star resort but was clean and had great character. They even had a full sized soccer field and spirited games were played every day. There is even a waterslide park! We took several day trips and really enjoyed the countryside. If you want a real eyeopener, take the local bus into town and see the authentic flea market (Saturdays, I think). As is usual in the real parts of Mexico, they even had meat hanging without refrigeration (and WITH flies). A real eye-opener. the nearby town of Manzanillo is truly Mexican. The Mexican navy docks its boats (warships, etc.) in one of the inlets. We went deep sea fishing from there and boy, was that interesting....the machine guns the guards had when you went thru the gates were scary but we were in no real danger. We told the cab driver we would only pay him when he Picked Us Up at the end of the day and drove us safely back to the resort and he showed up without problem....Remember to do that if you go. My only concern is your timing, there were deep "ditches" running alongside the sidewalks at this resort and we were told that during the rainy season (summer??) they were completely full. I don't know if it rains all day and every day but you should check it out.

Apr 15th, 2002, 08:43 AM
Esther

To those recommending the Gran Porto Real, who is the beach? Is the water free of reef/rocks?

Thank you.

Apr 15th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Esther

To those recommending the Gran Porto Real, how is the beach? Is the water free of reef/rocks?

Thank you.