family volunteering/language immersion ideas

Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

family volunteering/language immersion ideas

Hi everyone,
I'm in the earliest stages of planning a family volunteering trip in CA. So far, Honduras and Nicaragua look good, as we're on a tight budget, but I'd love to hear you ideas.

By the time we actually take this trip, my kids will be 5, 8 and 11. We'd like to spend about 4-6 weeks in a CA country volunteering in a kid-friendly environment (i.e., an orphanage, a school) and learning spanish in a casual environment. Ideally, we'd rent a house near water, so that that kids could cool off every afternoon and not complain so much about lack of TV. Any thoughts of what towns or cities to research? Right now, I'm looking at Roatan and La Ceiba, but am completely open to other ideas.
Many thanks,
Temple
Jan 23rd, 2008, 05:41 PM

I really love Honduras but there are a couple of things to keep in mind about the places you mention: LaCeiba is HOT, not much ac or respite at night. I really loved studying there and living with a host family except for the HEAT. The principle language on Roatán is English so it's not a good immersion environment.

How about Copán? I'm heading back to the Ixbalanque school this summer and they have volunteer opportunities. Check out the school and tell them Stacey from Oregon says "hi". Take a look at my photos, too, if you're interested and let me know if you have questions. Happy trails and keep us posted!

www.ixbalanque.com
http://flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Jan 24th, 2008, 02:25 AM

Temple -

La Ceiba is a good choice and if you find a house on the water it is very comfortable in the evenings with the temperature drop and breezes off of the Caribbean even in the hottest months (July, August, September) without air conditioning.

I am not sure where you are exploring but you may want to check out the Ninos de la Luz (Children of the Light) non-profit in La Ceiba (http://thechildrenofthelight.org/) and the SOS Children's Village (www.soschildrensvillages.ca/html/la_ceiba.html).

Good luck wherever you go thanks!

Charlie Meador, Coco Pando, La Ceiba, Honduras

Search this Thread