Search

Family Vacation to Belize

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family Vacation to Belize

Hello all,
My family and I are planning a trip to Belize (our first) for this June. I know its short notice, but we were just able to get all the schedules coordinated. Honestly, we were debating between Belize and the US virgin isles. If you think the Virgin Isles would be a better choice based on the time frame and ease of travel please feel free to say so, but from what I read getting to and from Belize isnt too bad.

Anyways, we're a family of 5, parents, a 27 yr old, 25 yr old and 17 yr old. We like activities, watersports, snorkeling (none of us scuba), we're very athletic, and we're really not big on partying or shopping. We like a semi laid back vacation full of beach time, exploring the region and cultural sites, and eating good food. That being said, we'd love some info about not to miss sites/activities in the area, and great hotels in the area. I'd say budget is moderate. We don't care whether its all inclusive or not, as long as there's good food in the area. I have this fantasy of staying in a place that has rooms over the water, but understandably that may not be possible. Any help you can give would be great!

Thank you all so much in advance!!

Jess
Old May 14th, 2011, 05:33 PM

How long is your trip? If more than a week, I'd consider splitting your time between a jungle lodge in the Cayo region and one of the beach destinations.

While in Cayo, you can do cave tubing, zip lining, explore ATM (Actun Tunich Muknal) cave, and other Mayan ruins. Also hiking and canoeing in the rivers.
Old May 14th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

unfortunately we only have a week. Thank you for the information!
Old May 15th, 2011, 05:19 AM

I'd still consider a split. I'd arrange a shuttle from BZE straight to Cayo. The next day go to ATM. The next day a trip to the Mountain Pine Ridge, including the ruins at Caracol. Or, go to Tikal in Guatemala.

The next day, head back to Belize City, go to the Municipal airport and fly to Ambergris Caye. Lots of good restaurants and great hotel options. Less than a mile from the reef for snorkeling opportunities.

When it's time to go home, you can fly straight to BZE in 15 minutes.
Old May 15th, 2011, 05:25 AM

We did a trip similar to what Jean has mentioned - a few days in the Cayo at Chaa Creek and then went to Ambergris and stayed at Victoria House. Those are two kind of pricey properties, but there are a lot of options. It's great to see the inland stuff like ruins and caving and then relax on the cayes for snorkeling. Belize is beautiful. Best inland tour we did was Tikal and best of the cayes for us was snorkeling at Hol Chan where we saw huge rays, sea turtles, nurse sharks, and beautiful tropical fish.
Old May 15th, 2011, 05:45 PM

I'd do a split, too. You could pick an island and do a few day trips to the mainland but they'd be spendier and mean looong travel days. Don't miss the zoo, the ATM cave, and Tikal if you want to be swept off your feet by one of the most amazing ruins on the planet (worth an overnight imo). I've posted my photo/blog/travelogue link below in case you'd like to check it out. Happy trails!
www.belizezoo.org
http://pacztours.com/actun-tunichil-muknal.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Old May 16th, 2011, 09:17 AM

I agree with everyone else - do a split! There's so much to see inland, and you also don't want to miss the cayes. I'd get to Tikal too, even though it's a drive - even for the day. It was amazing. We stayed at Chaa Creek and then we went to Ambergris for the beach time. Here's a link to where the Belize part of my blog starts - there's a lot of details from both the Cayo and the Cayes portions of our trip, including some pictures.

http://tripspicsandtales.blogspot.co...belize-it.html
Old May 16th, 2011, 11:30 AM

You could base on the beach in Placencia and take day trips to the mainland and see the Mayan sites in the Mayan villages in the Toledo district, hike in the rainforest, swim under a waterfall, float down a jungle river in an inner tube, great birding, some wildlife that is not elusive, see how people live on both the mainland and by the sea. Belize is a fascinating country with equally spectacular sites on land and under the sea.