Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Family vacation idea (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/family-vacation-idea-1696800/)

kfn78 Apr 10th, 2021 10:12 AM

Family vacation idea

Hey all -

ive been set on going to Costa Rica for years, but as I’m finally planning a vacation now, I’m wondering if it’s best choice. I’ve considered Belize, Brazil, and am open to other options as well. Some key facts/desires:

- I want eco- adventure - rainforest, monkeys, waterfalls, etc.
- I’ll be traveling with three kids (6, 11, 12) ans while the beach is neither here nor there for me, I’m sure they’d love at least some time there
- I also love ruins/archeological sites (my concern is whether Costa Rica is any good for this; I’m sure my kids could pass it, but having the option seems nice)
- covid is also obvi a concern. I wouldn’t be going till mid/late summer (and fiancé and I both are vaccinated), but I don’t want to put us all at too much risk either, obvi
- I’ve been tempted by resorts, simply cause of family, altho I’m more an adventure/travel than hang out in resorts person. However, I know there’s something to be said for all-inclusive and ability to entertain kids with various (included) activities.

Just wondering if anyone who has traveled with a family (2 adults/3 kids) would recommend one of the places more than others or has another idea altogether?

tia for any opinions!

baldone Apr 10th, 2021 06:04 PM

Only thing I have to offer is that your dates put you in the rainy/hurricane season for Central America. Hot, humid, generally just unpleasant. Typically, rain runoff makes coastal waters brown and murky, at least those areas that are near any hills. Anyway, until someone else chimes in....

volcanogirl Apr 13th, 2021 08:48 AM

We've been going to Costa Rica for fifteen years and love it. The Arenal area combined with Manuel Antonio is the most popular combo for first timers. It has beach, volcano, wildlife, adventure activities, and waterfalls. Not much in the way of ruins in Costa Rica. Have been to Belize a couple of times and enjoyed it as well - good if you're interested in snorkeling or diving, but a lot of the beaches have sea grass.

hopefulist May 14th, 2021 07:01 PM

Chiming in, maybe a little late in the game, to say that I think Belize is an awesome family vacation spot - great caving, Maya sites, waterfalls, and blue water activities. If you're interested, in my opinion you should get your hands on a guidebook and devour it, even an older 1 from your local library would work. They have good historical and cultural background sections and suggested itineraries in addition to travel, tour, food, and lodging specifics. When you have a better idea of what you’re wanting, you can get more updated info from the internet and come back with more specific questions so we can help you better.

In the mean time here's a link to my photos with blog, travelogue, and review links on the main page of each collection - all my recommendations are embedded there.
Happy planning!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

BKmagee May 15th, 2021 12:26 PM

I think Costa Rica sounds amazing for a family. Sticking to one or two main resorts would probably be easiest since you will have kids. I don't know the ages of the children, but can you imagine lugging all your stuff to more than 2 places in one week? I would say NO WAY to Brazil just because there is just more danger to worry about and do you really need that? There are so many travel warnings about watching your wallet and wasn't there a huge problem with covid just a few months ago - I mean huge!

Greenhorn May 15th, 2021 11:19 PM

Belize has want you want. Have travelled the world over with 3 kids - youngest has been to some 30 countries - be adventurous - resorts are easy but not what memories are made of - and certainly do not succumb to all-inclusives - you risk missing the point of why you have travelled.

volcanogirl May 16th, 2021 02:59 AM

The Lamanai Outpost Lodge is a neat spot in Belize. You travel down the river via boat which is an adventure in itself. One of the coolest things about it is that it's located right next to some gorgeous ruins. We had them all to ourselves when we went. Lots of nice birds and monkeys, and several activities were included in our stay. You could pair it with a nice beach location like Ambergris. Have also stayed at Victoria House and Chaa Creek and loved those. These are some of the pricier places, but there are less expensive options as well