Family vacation

May 21st, 2017, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Family vacation

We are a family of 9, 2 seniors,4 adults, 3 children (17,15,11) looking to vacation this Christmas ( this is the only week available to the whole family)
We,d like to rent a house ( at least 4 bedrooms,) don't want to be in a hotel. We love CR, unfortunately on our last visit our house was robbed. Thinking of Panama but concerned about safety. Our robbery experience has left us cautious. We'd like beachfront or views, some hiking , rafting or other things to do.
We can find a house , we need advice on a location.
May 21st, 2017, 04:10 PM

Tulemar Bungalows in Manuel Antonio Costa Rica is fantastic. Would be pricey during Christmas though. I wouldn't necessarily give up on CR; I would just stay somewhere with security.
May 22nd, 2017, 01:21 PM

Have you considerd the riviera Maya on the Yucatan? Amazing beaches, great food, snorkelling, etc - and it's a very safe family friendly area. Lots of nice towns like Puerto Morelos, Akumal, Soliman Bay, Tulum, etc. The locogringo.com website has lots of info and rentals.
May 28th, 2017, 01:01 AM

If your looking for safety and a place that is great for kids, I would highly recommend Cozumel. Known as the safest place in Mexico. Its a great place where you can feel safe wondering off the resort or hotel. We have stayed here more than 20 times, and never ever had an issue. We have friends and family who visit here frequently as well, and even made friends with American locals, and they will tell you the same thing.

Your kids are around the same age as mine, and I always feel safe if they head to town without us. They also love the snorkeling, which is one of the most famous things about Cozumel. A must do is El Cielo and the private jeep tour. El Cielo is a sandbar, and the most magnificent place in the Caribbean. Just look it up, and you will see exactly what I mean. The private jeep tour is operated by an American family tour operation that has been in business for a very long time. They are easy to search. http://www.cozumelcruiseexcursions.net/ There are many tour operations that can take you to El Cielo, and many of them include snorkeling first and then head to the sandbar afterwards to eat and drink.

The beaches on the East Coast of Cozumel are truly stunning, and do not know any other place where theres secluded beaches that have no development. Its really like taking a step back in time when you go to the other side of Cozumel. They don't even have electricity. I think its really great that 7 miles of beach is protected. I believe the main reason, is because every year thousands of sea turtles come to lay theirs eggs on the beaches on the East Coast. We took the kids when they were younger to watch the baby sea turtles hatch, and it was something to add to the bucket list. They do it during the evening from I believe June until August or September. It was many years ago, so I don't remember exactly, but its easy to look up.

I agree almost anywhere in the Riviera Maya is really nice. The only place I wouldn't recommend is Cancun. They have great resorts, and you can wonder off the resorts but only on the hotel zone. You cant venture in town, because its not very safe. Playa Del Carmen, is also another great option.

Have you considered taking a cruise as well?

Search this Thread