Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Family of four...Cozumel vs. Punta Cana?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 02:54 PM
Mesha

We are planning a family vacation @ the end of July. This includes 2 girls 10 & 13. We want site-seeing, excellent beaches, pool(s), food, and decent accomodations. AI may be a (+). Reasonable expense is a must. And are there better options. I was looking to get away from the hustle and bustle of Cancun, but am skeptical about traveling to far, 2nd to possible language barriers? Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 04:20 PM
Parrot Mom

The caveat you added about "language barrier" threw me.. First Cozumel is/was wonderful...Punta Cana has 20 miles of beach, all inclusive hotels..and according to Frommer more for your $$ compared to Mexico.. Punta Cana is three hours from the city of Santo Domingo..along way..so you would have to go with excursions from the resorts.. Cozumel has snorkeling, etc. a little sightseeing, shopping, and you can always take the ferry over the the Yucatan for the day..wonderful restaurants in Cozumel.. Since it is more likely that the people in Cozumel will speak english in general..some will, I doubt except for the people at the resorts you hear too much english.. Then again, it';s a great learning experience for your daughters..to pick up another language and perhaps learn a few words ahead of time.. For more info please write me..