Search

Family Itinerary Help

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family Itinerary Help

Hi!
I would love some help figuring out where to spend 10 days in CR with our daughters ages 8 & 11. We don't want to do too much moving around so we would like to divide the trip between 2 locations (I think). We are considering 2 out of the following 3: Manuel Antonio, Osa Peninsula and Arenal.

My kids are less intereted (as far as they know) in the Volcano area but so many people recommend it I'm not sure. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 06:43 PM

Unless you live near a beach, kids are going to lean toward beachy locations, I think. I don't blame them!

Either the Osa OR Manuel Antonio would be good choices. I tend to favor Arenal and MA for first time visitors. Others would disagree.

There is, indeed, a LOT to do in the Arenal area--and a lot that I think your girls would enjoy--more than they realize, as you say.

Another suggestion that wouldn't involve too much moving around would be to spend your last couple of nights near the airport and take in some of the sights in the Central Valley area. La Paz Waterfall Garden would be ideal for your family. If you could arrange a couple of nights at Peace Lodge on their property, I think your entire family would be quite pleased with the choice. It's a little "over the top", but surely special! A good way to start out OR finish up.

Good luck! It's a paradise!
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 06:47 PM

There are a few things in the volcano area that your daughters would love. Tabacon natural hot springs - really beautiful and almost like a water park with waterfalls and naturally heated pools. There's a water slide too - even my husband loved it. Also the Cano Negro river boat tour where they can see howler monkeys, capuchins, sloths, caimans, etc. That was really great; I think kids would love it. If they're adventurous, they'd probably love to do ziplines at SkyTrek too.

We loved the Osa because it's still relatively undeveloped, but people with children really seem to love Manuel Antonio - it's easy to get around there, has the beach, nice park full of wildlife, and great restaurants. Also really beautiful sunset views.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 06:49 PM

I agree with shillmac - a night or two at the Peace Lodge would be something your girls would love - beautiful views, aviary, nocturnal frog tour, gorgeous waterfalls, jacuzzi, waterfall shower - it's really indulgent and fun.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone so far -
is it too much to do Arenal, MV AND Osa? (9 nights, plus one we have to stay in San Jose).

We'd love ideas about great places to stay in any of these places too.

Can younger kids do the zip lines etc?

Thank you!
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 07:13 PM

Are you sure you only have to do one night near the airport? Sometimes you get stuck with that at the front AND back end of your trip. Personally, I think adding Monteverde (MV) would be too much. It needs 3 nights (as does Arenal). The Osa is great for 4-5 nights.

Yes, the younger kids can do ziplines. If there is a problem, the guides will go with them.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

thanks - i didn't mean to throw MV in there, I meant MA (Manuel Antonio ) whoops -
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 04:45 AM

For the most part, I think it's better to choose either Manuel Antonio OR the Osa for a trip - it just depends upon how undeveloped you'd like things to be.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 09:02 AM

Hi Annie -- I think 2 locations would be a great trip for you. I took my 10 year old daughter earlier this year and in Arenal we did the Cano Negro tour (a highlight, really great), Eco-Thermales hot springs in the evening, zip lines over the falls with Mundos Aventuras (daughter went tandem) and includes a short horseback ride afterwards. Next year we'll be trying Venado Caves and maybe hanging bridges and Sky Trek.

We loved our hotel as well, but will be staying at Los Lagos next time as they get good reviews for families and have water slides for the kids and other activities on their grounds.

As far as choosing Osa or MA that's a tough one. We chose Osa last time and LOVED it! But, next year we're going to MA as well. Some things to consider in MA are the Canopy Safari, Sunset Mangrove tour, Finca Valmy horseback ride and MA park and beaches.

In Osa you will have lots of wildlife, hiking, tour options as well. We stayed at Bosque del Cabo which is wonderful and great for kids and adults alike. If you go to Osa, do take the Wildlife Animal Sanctuary tour. There are 3 monkeys that will climb right on you and play with you. My daughter just loved this, especially when Sweetie climbed up under her rain poncho and stuck her head out through the opening with her, and Winky the baby in diapers, and Lulu the precious Howler with the broken leg that was so sweet. There are also other rescued animals with their own story...a highlight of our visit to the Osa. Around BDC there are monkeys, sloths, toucans, macaws, agoutis, coati mundis and various other wildlife, plus the great trails to hike and wonderful food.

Agree with Shillmac that your daughters would LOVE Peace Lodge. Being able to touch and be close to so much (handfeed toucans and hummingbirds, largest butterfly observatory in the world, the jacuzzi on the balcony, the wonderful hiking around the waterfalls...indulgent, but great fun!

Good luck choosing!
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 09:08 AM

Hi, annie - regarding MA vs. the Osa, just wanted to make sure you know that BdC does not have air conditioning, and you can't use things like a blow dryer there because it will overload their power. Things like that don't matter to some people, but just in case... We loved the Osa despite it being a little hot and having unrecognizable hair. I think other people would prefer Manuel Antonio because it's just easy there.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. We would love your recommendations on where to stay at Osa! (I think we might spend 3 days each at Arenal, Manuel Antonio and Osa - unless someone tells us that's nuts?)
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 02:45 AM

We stayed at Bosque del Cabo and really loved it - that's why I mentioned the comment about the hair dryer. I wasn't sure how girly girl your daughters are. If they are the adventurous types that love hiking and animals/wildlife, then they would love BdC.

In MA, Costa Verde and Si Como No are really popular. We stayed at Mango Moon, but they flipflop on whether or not they allow children, so I'd look at the other two. Si Como No has separate child/adult pools, so it's popular with families, also a movie theater on site.
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

These places are all booked! We are looking at Yellow Coco, La Paloma, Las Caletas, Pearl of the Osa, Iguana Lodge all in Puerto Jiminez
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 08:18 AM

Many people stay and love Iguana Lodge and the Pearl. I also did some research on Cabinas Caletas and hope to stay there sometime. Looks like a good place to me.
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 09:13 AM

We met some folks on the plane that stayed at Crocodile Bay and loved it - have not stayed there ourselves, but might be worth checking on. You also might get some ideas at tripadvisor.com if you haven't used that site before.
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 09:14 AM

Oh, and if you want to go pricey, Lapa Rios gets great reviews.