Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Family Christmas Vacatio to Peru and Machu Pichu-Need confirmation on recommended trip

Family Christmas Vacatio to Peru and Machu Pichu-Need confirmation on recommended trip

Old May 10th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Author: rjbriskin
Date: 05/10/2007, 01:21 pm
My husband and I and our 2 children, ages 14 and 18 are planning our Christmas Vacation. Our travel agent is recommending that we fly to Lima for 1 nite, then on to Machu Pichu for about 4 nites at Hotel Monasterio,then he recommends that we do day trips to the ruins and Indian markets. Then on to Iquitos to the beginning of the Amazones for about 2 nites. We as a family like to tour and see different countries. I would love to get some input on his recommendations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old May 24th, 2007, 02:15 PM

the Hotel Montasterio is in Cuzco. Machu is about a 4 hour train ride away
THis is a VERY expensive hotel, not sure what your budget it. Cuzco is the main hub of the area, you can visit my website at debbepatterson.com I have my trip last May documented and have the places that we went to in it. I would not do a day trip to the ruins, I would spend the night. I spent two nights in the area and found it to be the most magical place in the world! I felt sorry for the tour group people who arrived in a herd, saw, and then left not really being able to have the time to sit and drink in the place. You can get a tour from Cuzco that includes a night in Agua Calliente (Machu Pichu town) which gives you a bit of time to really enjoy it. THere is a great Sunday Market that is a day trip from Cuzco. It is all on my web site. Good luck. I loved PEru and would go back in a heartbeat!
Old May 24th, 2007, 05:41 PM

If you aren't going to spend any time in Lima, there is no point in spending the night. I suggest you take the overnight flight that gets you in around 5:00 am, then take an early flight to Cusco (around 6:30 or 7:00 am).

I would recommend against day trips from Cusco. You will spend so much time in trains and cars and lose out on spending time in the Sacred Valley. I've posted a lot on Peru. Here are some links to a few where I suggest an alternative:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...6&tid=34989812

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...6&tid=34969674

Given that you have teenagers, I highly recommend a day trip to Ica to see the Nazca lines. You can do the trip from Lima. Here's a thread on it:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...6&tid=34969674

Btw, you realize Christmas is the rainy season, right?
Old May 24th, 2007, 05:43 PM

Also, I think going all the way to the Amazon and only spending 2 nights will not do it justice. I think it would be better if you spend 4-5 nights in Cusco and the Sacred Valley and 2 nights in Lima (spending one day in Ica), leaving the Amazon for a separate trip.
Old May 24th, 2007, 07:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Hotel Monasterio is in Cusco not at Machu Pichhu. There is a sister property, the Machu Pichhu Sanctuary Lodge right at MP. Your TA maybe suggesting staying in Cusco at the Hotel Monesterio and doing a day trip to MP.
I would defintely spend time in the Scared Valley and not just do day trips to the SV from Cusco. There are several hotel options to chose from in the SV. We stayed in Ollantaytambo at the Hotel Pakaritampu for several days. We took the train to MP from there--its only a little over an hour from there. Aside from giving you a better overall experience by staying in the SV it will help with the altitude adjustment. Going from Lima to the SV and then going to Cusco at the end will give you some time to acclimate to the altitude. Cusco is around 11,000 ft, while the SV and MP are around 8,000 ft.
Old May 24th, 2007, 08:09 PM

I agree with hills27...2 nights in the Amazon it just a waste of time.

One night would be the day you get there and then the next night is at the end of your, next full day because after thesecond night you have to leave.

Flight from the Amazon are usually in the early morning....nothing like leaving your hotel at midnight to go to the airport ( yawn!!)

I was there for 5 full days a few months ago,I had two private tour guides so I saw and did a lot.

Take Care
Percy