Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Family accomodations in Osa Peninsula? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/family-accomodations-in-osa-peninsula-751536/)

MonicaRichards Dec 3rd, 2007 01:10 PM

Family accomodations in Osa Peninsula?

Hi all. It's a slow day at work so what better to do than to start to plan our summer vacation in Costa Rica! We are a family of four, girls are ages 5 and 7. We have been to Costa Rica twice before but this time we want to go somewhere new, so we thought we'd try Osa. Any recommendations on where to stay with the kids? Other places we like are Xandari, Capitan Suizo and Tulemar Bungalows. Our last trip we stayed at Mawamba Lodge in Tortuguero but weren't thrilled--it was too dark in the cabinas and there was no place to put our stuff/ hang things to dry. So I guess we don't need luxury but roughing it isn't our thing either.

volcanogirl Dec 3rd, 2007 02:23 PM

We stayed at Bosque del Cabo and loved it. They have small houses on the property you can rent and also several cabinas that have lofts in them. You may also want to check out Lapa Rios, but BdC is the most popular spot on this board.

campjulie Dec 3rd, 2007 09:15 PM

We just returned from 2 weeks in CR with our daughters 7 and 9. We spent 4 nights at Bosqe del Cabo and really enjoyed it. We had a cabina with a loft for the kids. Ours loft had stairs (vs. a ladder that I think one of the cabinas has) and a railing so I felt fine about the kids up there. (We also loved Buena Vista Villas on the Tulemar property.)

MonicaRichards Dec 4th, 2007 08:41 AM

Thanks for the replies. Bosque del Cabo sounds like the winner! I was worried it was couple-centric but I guess not.

volcanogirl Dec 4th, 2007 08:48 AM

There was a couple there with two young teens when we were there, and they had a blast hiking, waterfall repelling, snorkeling, deep sea fishing, etc. The dining is communal, so it's not a really romantic, couply kind of vibe there.

hipvirgochick Dec 4th, 2007 09:15 AM

Love BDC, but have to point out since you mention you didn't like Mawamba because of darkness, etc., that BDC runs on solar energy so it is as well, dimly lit and no use of hairdryers. You won't find fufu amenities, but there is 24 hour turn around laundry should you need it and a few hooks to hang clothes on. The cabinas are very nice with ample sitting areas on porch with great views.

That being said, strongly suggest you look into BDC because it is an absolutely amazing place! And no, I wouldn't consider it couply per se, although depending on when you go there might not be other kids there. I'm a single mom and took my 10 year old earlier this year and there were no kids during our 5 night stay, but when we left some were just arriving.

MonicaRichards Dec 4th, 2007 09:52 AM

Well, the issue with Mawamba was more that there were no windows, it was very rainy so not much light, and then there was absolutely no hooks or dressers or anything for our stuff. So we were searching through bags on the floor, and of course when our clothes got wet, there was no place to hang them to dry. AND our wing of cabins didn't have a walkway to it so the mud on our shoes, despite our best efforts, got transfered into our room. It was just a very hard place to be.

hipvirgochick Dec 4th, 2007 10:06 AM

Ok, gotcha. Well, I'm not sure about the houses, but there are no dressers in the cabinas at BDC either, although there's a closet. Plenty of open doors and windows for light though!

MonicaRichards Dec 4th, 2007 11:58 AM

That's a bummer about no dressers, I do like to unpack when I stay somewhere more than a day. But a small price to pay for a place that looks beautiful.

campjulie Dec 4th, 2007 03:57 PM

If and when you get ready to book, I might suggest Mangrillo cabina. There are 3 cabinas with the loft. We stayed in Tucan and loved it. The people staying in Mangrillo (I think that is the name) let us look at theirs. One slight advantage is the walkway is level to Mangrillo vs. the stepping stones to Tucan. If there is any mud, that might sway you. Both are great and I would not hesitate to stay in either with my kids. (I am not a real roughing it kind of person.)

I too like to unpack, but simply hung some things in the closet and lived out of my backpack. We packed very lightly for our two weeks (Nature Air restrictions) and I would do that again even if I had no luggage weight to consider.

tully Dec 4th, 2007 04:05 PM

campjulie - would love to read a trip report! Especially would like to hear about Tucan as I will be there next May and I have already assigned my dad to the loft. I was in Tucan a long time ago, just looking around, but it was way before it was completely overhauled.

fyi - the slate pathways now lead to most of the cabinas but they will eventually lead to all - no timetable though. I think they are a great addition, can't wait to see them.

tully Dec 4th, 2007 04:09 PM

oops, I meant to keep typing....Monica I would definitely rec Bosque as others have. Any of the cabinas with lofts would work. Also in most of the closets there is like a little shelf thing about knee high, I hung up some stuff and folded the rest. You could maybe do a split, do a couple nights at Iguana Lodge if the girls wanted some beach time.

volcanogirl Dec 4th, 2007 05:24 PM

julie, my co-worker is back at the office. She and her mom loved Manglillo. She specifically mentioned the direct paved walkway that made it easy for her elderly mom to get to and from the cabin.

MonicaRichards Dec 4th, 2007 07:32 PM

I am getting very excited to see something new on my fourth trip to Costa Rica. Thanks for the tips on the cabina. As far as beach time, is the beach just impossible to reach from Bosque? We're not big lay out people but I would love to get in a bit of snorkle time--even marginal snorkeling is better than no snorkeling for me.

volcanogirl Dec 4th, 2007 07:38 PM

The beach is not impossible to get to, but it is a long hike. There's a Golfo Dulce Trail and a Pacific Trail. I believe they will come pick you up at a pre-appointed time. We're big into snorkeling too - have done it in Mexico, Greece, Hawaii, Bermuda, St. John, etc. Snorkeling in CR was not worth it to me, but we still love CR. One thing the girls might like is the dolphin swim; they pull you behind a boat while dolphins swim around you.

campjulie Dec 4th, 2007 07:57 PM

Thought I would get to my report tonight, but feel like I am still catching up with "real life," Here is a preview:
LOVED IT!

tully, about Toucan: The wrap around porch had a couple of chairs on the part of the L of the porch that looked at the other cabinas. We never sat there. We sat on the part that overlooked the water. There were two rockers and a small table + a hammock. The bed downstairs was super comfy and the light in the alcove at the head of the bed made reading and turning out that light without getting up very convenient.

There was a chair and couch with a denim fabric that felt damp to me, but my kids didn't seem to notice / mind. The stairs to the loft were easy to use. At the base of the stairs is the closet with a shelf above the safe. There is also some storage below the stairs... an alcove with a door.

I think the two beds upstairs were each doubles and comfortable as well. The girls had a light and a fan (they never needed the fan) and netting on each bed.

The bathroom is enormous and the shower and tub fantastic. I felt the shower and tub were very private and we used them both.

In front of the cabina, there is a small, round patio. We would bring the chairs out at times, but mostly my husband used it to jump rope (irritating, isn't he :-) ?)

We could see the sunrise from the side window that our bed was nearest. Other than that we didn't get a full sunrise or sunset view, but we really liked the location... it felt close and private at the same time. We had spider monkeys in the trees right there in the mornings and Tucans in the evenings in the big tree by us.

I was very happy with the cabina. I have some pictures of it, although probably nothing you have not already seen. I am not that savy with posting them, but if you send me your email address, I would be happy to send them to you.

volcanogirl: Cathy (sp?) and her mother were very nice. We really enjoyed meeting them. She introduced herself as volcanogirl's coworker!

monica: We too enjoy snorkeling but passed in CR. My girls loved the boat ride to the Animal Sanctuary and seeing all the dolphins, turtles and flying fish on the return trip. They didn't get in the water, but were thrilled. The sanctuary was a very special experience as well. As far as the beach, we hiked the Golfo Dulce trail to the beach (my husband carried 2 boogie boards from BdC) and we spent a couple of hours playing. We arranged to be picked up because my kids would have been less than thrilled with the hike back. That was a great day.

volcanogirl Dec 4th, 2007 08:48 PM

campjulie, that's funny. I actually saw a picture of you guys today when I was looking at Kathy's pics. She said, "That's campjulie, and this one is CRlover!" From the pics, it looks like you all had a great time. Kathy cracks me up. I sent all my pictures to my co-workers, and it gave her the idea to go, and she started reading the boards for information. One day she came in my office and said, "Hey, are you volcanogirl?"

I just got a brief glimpse at her pictures, but she said she would love to go back. I'd say that's a pretty typical reaction. I'm glad you enjoyed Tucan - we never saw any tucans in the that area when we were there, but we did see so many monkeys. I love to hear about other's experiences and look forward to your report! Hopefully you guys will make it back again someday.

tully Dec 5th, 2007 04:06 AM

sounds awesome julie, thanks for posting. I was thinking I would miss the deck at Congo so much but that sounds nice, as long as I have somewhere to chill, read a book maybe, with a good view I will be happy. So glad Tucan has stairs rather than ladder, make it easier for my dad. Did you use the tub? I had one in Mariposa, I finally used it the last night I was there just because it was there :) My email is [email protected] , would love to see some pics! I can't believe your husband toted 2 boogie boards down the Golfo trail! Isn't the refuge a special place? Is Lulu the howler monkey still there? Glad you got to see BdC & what we're always raving about!

coolbluewater Dec 5th, 2007 04:39 AM

They will drop you off at the beach if you don't want to hike the Golfo Dulce trail. Of course, my 70-something year old parents had no trouble hiking that trail (and back!). And my father cracked open a coconut on the beach with rocks, etc. because they didn't have enough water!

My parents are infinitely tougher than we are.

There were a few kids when we stayed at BdC. Luckily your girls will have each other to play with. The kid who was on his own seemed a little bored while the two families of children managed to entertain themselves quite well.

MonicaRichards Dec 5th, 2007 07:50 AM

Ooooh, I am getting so excited! I don't know how I can wait until summer...