COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Faithie in Nicaragua...? Jeff?

Old Jul 13th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Faithie in Nicaragua...? Jeff?

Hi Guys,
In baby stages of planning/researching one of this winters getaways. Last year we did both Costa Rica and Panama/ Isla Grande. For anyone who has been to Isla Grande/ Hotel Sister Moon you know it's fairly well off the beaten track and far from luxe.... Just the way we like it. Interested in Little Corn? We would land in Managua, probably need to see Granada(sp). We love to chill at the beach, no need for fancy, all tips welcome.
Faith
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 08:35 PM

Despite all the problems Nicaragua is having with electricity right now (or, I should say, lack of it), it is still an amazing country, Faithie, and I recommend it highly. If you have a choice in schedule, I'd make it earlier in the winter. By February and March it starts to get VERY hot. December and January are more bearable, IMHO.

Beaches: You have San Juan del Sur on the south Pacific coast, just north of the Costa Rican border. It's a fun little town. And, yes, you have to see Granada.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 04:20 AM

Jeff,
Thanks for your quick reply. I have a little one at home so it's always important that I can do so easily.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Hi Jeff,

Thanx for the input, I've been doing lots of research. Granada for sure, perhaps a Lake tour, and I'm really drawn to the Corn Islands... We'd fly there, I know there was crime trouble in the past but with the addition of constables I heard things had improved...? We've done the "boat thing" to get to a destination before so it's not a deterrent, nor are rustic accomodations an issue. Have you been?
Thanx again, Faith.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 05:12 AM

Faithie:

I was there in May and it was really HOT! Granada is a neat little town. Lots of stuff to do in the surrounding area. Can't speak for the Corn Islands-haven't been there. Been to SJDS--It was interesting for about an hour then ready to move on. There are plenty of beach restaurants to eat at while gazing at the picturesque beach. Beach hustlers, etc down on the waterfront doing their thing. Didn't have any crime issues in Granada or in the area. Didn't spend any time in MGA
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
Thank You for the tips. The crime I was referring to was Corn Islands related, but I believe it's improved. I do not think the other beach area mentioned is what we are looking for, but I'll look into it further.
Thanx again, Faith.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 08:27 PM

faithie, are you really planning on Nicaragua this winter? Keep it up before hockey season rules the family!!!!!! Going to see "my hockey player" in Minn. tomorrow - I haven't seen his first apartment yet. Take care.