Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Fair price for 1 day to Iguazu (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/fair-price-for-1-day-to-iguazu-667781/)

bbeard Jan 6th, 2007 11:26 AM

Fair price for 1 day to Iguazu

I will be in BA in March and want to do Iguazu (Arg.side) in a day (there and back,same day). I have been quoted a price of $347 for rt air on AA (1st flight out, last back) rt. transfers from arpt. to Hotel Sheraton,English speaking tour guide.
I also want to do the river boat ride which isn't included but the agent Silvia (works for Argentina 4 U) says I will have time on my own. Is this a good price? Since the flights to Iguazu seem to fill up, I wanted to buy in advance. Thanks!

CollegeMom Jan 6th, 2007 06:49 PM

Used Silvia for TA while in BA and Iguazu, and she did a wonderful job. The whole trip was without a glitch and found her most helpful for itinerary suggestions as well as friendly in person at the hotel when she delivered the in country flight tickets and other documents! Her prices were much better than I had been quoted from another TA. The best part of her service was to email boarding passes for AA flights to the hotels so able to use web check in at the airport and avoid LONG lines at the regular check in. As for time at Iguazu, it depends on how leisurely you want to enjoy the falls as well as the national park grounds. There are long walkways to the falls from the Sheraton with birds, animals, and various plants on the way if you want to stop to enjoy them instead of just going to the falls. You might try to call the Sheraton to schedule a river boat ride since the vendor for the boat rides is in their lobby on most days. I booked upon arrival, but it was low season in late August, and it wasn't full. During busy season, the river tours can be fully booked. The falls are spectacular!

manika Feb 28th, 2007 11:49 AM

Collegemom,

Ihave read several of you posts and found them to be very helpful. but may I ask you to indicate the costs of the service that you received from travel agents like Cintia for example.
As one person mentioned in another thread - wow is great but they use 4-5* hotels. If people see itinerary and cost and number of travelers - they would be able to make a quick decision whether it is in their budget to contact TA or not.
So would you be kind enough to provide that info?

Thank you

PS I contacted Cintia - she did write a lenghthy response with good points but no example of a price for a specific location.

mikemo Feb 28th, 2007 11:54 AM

Just checked some random dates in March:
www.lan.com $231.US RT
www.aerolineasargentinas.co $237. US RT
Stay overnight and spend an entire day at the falls.
M

Orlando_Vic Feb 28th, 2007 12:06 PM

I just booked a RT trip (through WOW! Argentina) using Aerolineas Argentinas from BA to Iguazú in mid-April and the airfare portion will be 1,478.92 pesos or approximately $USD 554.60 for two people. This comes out to $277.30 each.

Orlando_Vic Feb 28th, 2007 12:11 PM

I should amend the previous post to include the total cost of our trip, not just the airfare:

The package includes:
- round trip air ticket Buenos Aires-Iguazú-Buenos Aires flying Aerolíneas Argentinas in economy class (N fare)
- private transfers in/out in Iguazú
- 2 nights at Sheraton hotel in a falls view room with breakfast
- written suggestions and map of the National Park
- 24/7 WOW! Argentina assistance
Cost: $1930 pesos per person (approx. USD 622)
Cost for 2 people: $3860 pesos

I have read that the cost of the falls view rooms at the Sheraton run an additional 30%. Of course, if you want a regular room or even one at another hotel, I am sure you can do the trip more cheaply.

CollegeMom Feb 28th, 2007 02:40 PM

BBeard-Sorry I can't give you a specific cost for the Iguazu portion of our trip because it was a total package including a week in BA plus other flights and airport transfers. From the other prices listed, Silvia's quote seems like a reasonable price. If I remember correctly I think the Sheraton Hotel was about $150 per night on the forrest side and $40/person more for the falls side. The falls side is only an advantage during the day which unless you spend you time in the room is just an added cost. It doesn't sound like you want to spend a night, but that would be my suggestion as you will have more time to enjoy the beautiful area around the falls and not be rushed back to the airport. There are many plants and birds as well as miles of catwalks to enjoy the falls from various levels and views. The advantage of staying at the Sheraton (with a high price)is you are on the grounds and in the park to enjoy the sights before and after the busloads of tourists arrive/leave from/to Iguazu. For one night and the convenience of not getting a bus or taxi to the park, it seemed worth it. The buffet at the hotel was also expensive, but there was also a menu with prices higher than in BA. The view of the falls made all the costs worthwhile. You will enjoy them!

mikemo Feb 28th, 2007 02:45 PM

We never use agents, so we save, well, 30%.
M

bd24 Feb 28th, 2007 03:34 PM

I was in BsAs in January and took a side trip to Iguazu. I really would recommend staying at least 1 night in Iguazu. Going there and coming back in 1 day would be a bit too rushed. If you want to see it all in a day you better be in good shape so that you can hussle from spot to spot.

I had just over 24 hrs (1 night stay) there and felt a bit rushed to see everything over 1 afternoon and the next morning. Iguazu is definitely worth the trip as I will never look at another waterfall the same. Everything else will seem like a leaky faucet by comparison.

The boat ride is a great way to get a real appreciation for the intensity of the falls.

If you are going to be there around the time of the full moon the park offers night entrance with access to the Devil's mouth. This is a very unique experience that I would recommend. Caution: There are a minimum # of lights in the park so you should be comfortable walking around under just the moonlight.