Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Experience with Peru Treks Machu Picchu (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/experience-with-peru-treks-machu-picchu-420331/)

kantravel Aug 27th, 2008 06:37 AM

Experience with Peru Treks Machu Picchu

My husband and I want do the Inca trail 4 day trek next August to celebrate our 50th birthdays. I am very grateful for the marvelous trip reports posted here....thank you for sharing! They have helped immeasurably in the planning process. One further question...has anyone used Peru Treks and Adventure? Can you recommend them?

canuckbc Aug 30th, 2008 09:04 PM

We used Peru Treks in May and we had the most postitive experience. The guides were very knowlegable and passionate about their country and were always willing to engage in conversation about Peru. The equipment, ie tents and sleeping bags were new, clean and comfortable. They treat their porters with respect and limit the weight the porters have to carry. The food was awesome, we could not believe what they were cooking up with limited supplies and kitchen facilities. Our trip was magical and the reward of Machu Picchu at the end was something that can not be explained, only experienced. After our trek we relaxed in the Sacred Valley at Kuchi Rumi which was amazing. If you would like any more details feel free to email me.

_cjw_ Aug 31st, 2008 07:27 AM

I don't leave for 2 weeks, but I booked my hike with Peru Treks. As I was researching online, Peru Treks website had some of the most straight forward, comprehensive info I found. While I didn't find many thorough reviews, what feedback I did find was all positive. The booking experience was fast and the Peru Treks team responded in-depth to all my questions.

kantravel Aug 31st, 2008 11:50 AM

Thank you so much for responding! What great feedback on Peru Treks...if possible, we are even more excited about the trek now! We will begin the booking process this week.

I know we will have a few questions before we head off in August...thanks for your offer Canuckbc. Do you think two moderately fit 50 year olds can meet the physical challenge? How many days did you acclimatize before the hike?

Cjw, we are also impressed by Peru Treks detailed website and feel reassured by your booking experience. Enjoy your trek in two weeks and please post some of the details when you return. Can't wait to hear about it.

P_M Aug 31st, 2008 12:36 PM

kantravel, when you get some time please see my trip report by clicking my name. I am 44 and I had a heck of a time with the altitude. But I am told that altitude sickness really has nothing to do with age or fitness, as every person is different.

The one thing I regret about my trip was not taking Diamox. Most other people in my group did take it and they handled the altitude a lot better than I did. But all that said, the Inca Trail was a great experience and I do recommend it.

P_M Aug 31st, 2008 12:39 PM

I forgot to mention--I was at the high altitude for about a week before starting the Inca Trail and I still had a tough time with the constant fatigue from altitude. There was a young lady in my group (age 23) who had a lot more problems than me. Please ask your doctor about Diamox.

canuckbc Aug 31st, 2008 08:05 PM

My husband is 56 and I am 50 and I have to report our friend who is only 44 and an extremely fit man was the one to suffer. We all took diamox and spent 2 days in Cusco before the trek. There is no rhyme or reason who gets altitute sickness so you should not dwell on it. Just go expecting to have the best time of your life. Cusco is a great town, lots to see. We chose to take the trip starting on Monday so we could see the Pisac market on Sunday that is so worth it. Just remember when you arrive in Cusco walk slowly!!

kantravel Sep 2nd, 2008 01:55 PM

Thanks P_M. I read your wonderful trip report earlier. We will definitely take Diamox.

Canuckbc... I feel reassured. We plan to begin the trek on Tuesday and hope to take in the Pisac market Sunday. We are also looking hard at Kuchi Rumi. Your suggestions are very much appreciated!

kantravel Sep 4th, 2008 11:59 AM

Canuckbc...could I ask two logistical questions? Did Peru Treks help you transfer back to Kuychi Rumi (Urubamba), and where did you store your luggage until you completed the trek? Thanks!

kantravel Sep 7th, 2008 12:41 PM

topping

P_M Sep 7th, 2008 02:05 PM

Hello kantravel, thanks for your nice words about my report.

I can't speak for Peru Treks but most tour companies will indeed provide a transfer after the trek as well as storing your luggage. I am willing to bet Peru Treks will provide the same services, but do contact them to make sure.

kantravel Sep 8th, 2008 09:27 AM

Your advice is much appreciated P_M...I will do that!!

darwinLA Nov 4th, 2013 11:13 PM

Hello everyone.

Awesome notes and feedback. I booked with Peru Trek a few months ago and will be leaving in about 2 weeks. Very excited and doing what I can to prepare myself accordingly.

canuckbc
what kind of sleeping bag did they rent out to you? I ask because I want to know if it will fit well in my new backpack. I bought a new technical pack (65 L) because my previous bag was too big (88 L) and not that comfortable (probably due to carrying excessive weight). Should I bring a compression stuff sack? Please advise.

Thanks in advance!

P_M Nov 5th, 2013 03:14 AM

darwinLA, this thread is 5 years old and by clicking the name it looks like canuckbc hasn't posted to this board in quite some time. But that's OK, I will be happy to answer your question. The porters will carry your sleeping bag for you. All you need is a day pack with water, snacks and any other necessities for the day.

Enjoy!!

darwinLA Nov 5th, 2013 08:19 AM

I saw immediately after I posted that the date of each comment had the year included except the "20"xx part. Ooops

I emailed Peru Treks too and today they sent me a lot of detailed information about their gear.

Thanks again!