Excellence Playa Mujeres or Royal Playa del Carmen

Jul 14th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Excellence Playa Mujeres or Royal Playa del Carmen

My wife and I have been thinking about going to Mexico, and have (I think) narrowed it down to one of these two places. We're looking for an AI. Which of these two places would you recommend?

We're in our early 30's, and like to lounge and relax. We're not into the club/party lifestyle. If we were to go to a club we'd like a jazz club or something of that nature. Looking for a place to do nothing, and maybe a little shopping or sight seeing once or twice. We went to Paradisus Punta Cana and loved it, if that helps at all.

I see that EPM has a cigar bar. What type of cigars do they have, are they included in the AI, etc.?

Which of the two would you recommend? Is there somewhere else you would recommend? Cheaper place? etc.
Jul 14th, 2008, 12:22 PM

I'm not a resort person myself, but I'd go with the Royal just because it is walking distance to downtown Playa del Carmen. Lots of shopping, interesting bars, and great people watching.

I think Excellence is pretty much off by itself.
Jul 15th, 2008, 08:14 AM
KVR

We went to The Royal Playa del Carman in Sept. '07. We've been to many AI's including Sandals and found The Royal one of the best. The location can't be beat. Just a 5 minute walk to 5th Avenue for shopping, resturants, nightlife and bars. They also have a tequlia bar and a staff member makes hand rolled cigars. No, they are not included in the AI price. We found the food, drinks and service to be very good and we liked that many amenities that other resorts charge for the Royal includes them in it's base price. You'll get more for your money at the Royal than at EPM.

EPM is out pretty far from the main area of Cancun. So if you want to venture out for shopping, etc. you'll need a cab. Check though to see if the hotel offers shuttle service.

The Royal is closer to off site activites like the ruins, cenotes, and the eco parks. EMP your pretty much isolated.

It all depends on what you are looking for, but of the two my pick would still be the Royal.
Jul 15th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. How was the beach erosion @ RPC?
Jul 15th, 2008, 05:48 PM
KVR

The beach was fine in front of the Royal. Down the way in front of the Grand Porto Real the beach was OK, ut the water was quite murky and the entrance was sand bagged. However, we went 2 weeks after Hurricane Dean hit, so it looked pretty good considering. I'm sure it's much better now.

Here's are pictures if your interested:

http://community.webshots.com/user/kvrlvn
Jul 16th, 2008, 05:25 AM

The beach there is beautiful right now. I walk down there every day.
Jul 24th, 2008, 08:57 AM

I was at the Royal Hideaway in January 2007 and the beach was being reclaimed. I presume it is much better now.
This resort is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen and the restaurants are outstanding. The level of service was remarkable and I would surely recommend it, providing the beach has improved.
I have to differ with KVR though. The walk to 5th Avenue in town was not minutes - closer to 30. But it is still within walking distance and you get to see lots of lovely homes. There is a small shopping plaza that is just a few minutes away - perhaps this is what she meant. Shopping was fun and there is also a ferry that you can take to Cozumel.
Jul 24th, 2008, 09:28 AM

Lolo12,
They are talking about the Royal Playa del Carmen, not the Royal Hideaway. Two totally different resorts. The Royal Playa del Carmen is right in town and is indeed a five minute walk from 5th Ave.
Jul 24th, 2008, 02:39 PM

Beach in front of the Royal is still nice. Walked down by Playacar last night and onto the beach by the Reef and RIU Palace. Beach has come back somewhat but still the big sand whales. Royal beach in town is still nicer.
Aug 1st, 2008, 12:30 PM

You sound like us, just a bit younger!

We are just back from EPM. The resort is modern and gorgeous and the facilities excellent. That being said, food was mediocre and service was hit or miss. no top shelf alcohol and the included wines were not very good.

It is definitely isolated which normally we are fine with but we would have loved to have easy access to some good restaurants. Very quiet at night but main pool was lively during the day. Beach was private, long, calm water, lots of sea grass.

We visited the Royal PDC in April. It did not appeal to us. PDC was fun for a few hours but we would not want to be in the thnck of it. And the Royal sells day passes (upgrade from the Gran Porto) which can make it crowded (according to some folks we met that were staying there). It looks nice enough if you are looking for lots of activity.

Have you considered the Iberstar Grand or the new Secrets Maroma?

Our favorite AI in this area is LeBlanc. Superb in every way, luxurious, quiet, romantic, butler service, best food of an AI yet and top shelf is served as well as a decent wine list. Service is on par with a Ritz.

Next choice would be the Grand though we disliked having to make dinner reservations and the food and service were not on par with LeBlanc.

We would not go back to EPM and have no interest in staying at the Royal.