Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Estancia El Martillo (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/estancia-el-martillo-636846/)

lindy_lee Aug 5th, 2006 10:19 AM

Estancia El Martillo

We just returned from a fabulous trip to Argentina. One of the highlights was the day we spent out at this estancia...no tour buses, no shows...it was just like going to visit friends at home..greeted with breakfast, riding on the 350 hectares, bbq lunch outside with wine, beer, coke, etc. fabulous bread pudding...feed the animals and just had fun. Ercillia is the owner.
She has a great sense of humor and really loves the animals, etc. She is a treasure. A driver will pick you up at your hotel and drive you back.
This is a must do for anyone looking to visit an estancia and wanting to avoid the touristy deals...

travmundial Jan 7th, 2007 06:12 PM

Just as Lindy posted, this estancia offers a marvelous personal experience for those seeking something other than a large-scale touristy estancia. We spent the day there in late September. Ercilia is very helpful and personable. Great food and wine, horseback riding, seeing the animals and a nice friendly chat with Ercilia make this a wonderful day trip to an estancia!

avrooster Jan 8th, 2007 01:22 AM

Thank you travmundial!
Anything else about your trip to Argentina?

drdawggy Jan 10th, 2007 02:12 AM

Prices for the day and for the transportation?

cherikm Jan 10th, 2007 12:48 PM

How did you arrange this? Email? We're going to BA in March, and were hoping to spend an afternoon at an estancia. Also, where is this located? Is it near San Antonio de Areco? We were hoping to spend a day at an estancia and then overnight in San Antonio de Areco. And again, price?

travmundial Jan 20th, 2007 04:46 PM

Thanks to everyone for the questions,

I arranged this by visiting the website and the manager/owner (Ercilia)and we arranged everything by e-mail. Upon arrival we received a confirmation call with the time to be picked up. I believe the cost for the entire day, all meals and activities included was $60.00 per person. A driver came to pick us up, stayed at the estancia the entire day and drove us back in the evening. The cost for the driver was $50.00.

As far as the location the website has a detailed map but of a small area. Since it was our first day there I wasn't completely oriented in direction so I don't know if it is on the way to San Antonio de Areco but maybe Dr. Dawggy or AvRooster may know that. It is in the province of Buenos Aires and I think it took about an hour and 15 minutes. We were riding to the estancia on the Friday of the weekend of the peregrinaje a Lujan. The annual pilgimage takes place with gauchos, horses and carts, and on the back of the cart there is a small replica of the Virgen of Lujan. So that was our main focus!!! It was great to be passing through that area on a special day!

AvRooster, as far as other parts of the trip they included: several days in Buenos Aires, two nights at Iguazu, and two in Montevideo, Uruguay. I took my parents and we enjoyed it all but with only 11 days we chose to stay close to BsAs. So, I would love to return to the Lake District and many of the southern parts of the country as well as Salta, of course when budget and time permit!!!

Hope these answers help! Thanks.

travmundial Jan 20th, 2007 05:03 PM

Oops! If anyone wants the website it is:

www.estanciaelmartillo.com.ar