Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Esperanza vs. Las Ventanas (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/esperanza-vs-las-ventanas-316204/)

missydan May 12th, 2003 03:09 PM

Esperanza vs. Las Ventanas

Hi,
My husband and I are trying to plan a trip between 6/03-9/03 and we were thinking of either Las Ventanas or Esperanza. It seems like Las Ventanas offers some special packages and Esperanza does not. Wondering how much on average we would spend on food at Esperanza since they do not have package rates that include breakfast, lunch or dinner. Also what are the pros and cons to each? From what I've been reading it sounds like both of them don't have such great beaches. Is that accurate? Thanks for the feedback.

Annabelle Jun 16th, 2003 02:20 PM

We just returned from Cabo and stayed at Esperanza and also stopped in at Las Ventanas for a few minutes to compare the two. Esperanza was an absolute perfect place to stay. All the suites have an amazing view of the ocean and the gorgeous grounds of the resort. From the moment we pulled up at Esperanza, we were greeted by three bellman eager to greet us and that was the beginning of the outstanding service we received in the five days we stayed there. The Esperanza is a beautiful, but quaint hotel that feels very intimate & not like you are just a number. From the cabana boy at the pool appearing each time our umbrella needed adjusting or passing out water/wet towels to the amazing spa with above first-class treatments/facilities to the gorgeous suites it made for a truly outstanding vacation. The concierge planned our activities-kayaking, snorkeling, ATV'ing, and to wrap up our trip-a sunset cruise. Each activity was delightful and were with companies that other's doing the same activities seemed to envy. On the Sunset Cruise, we saw sea lions, manta rays, listened to mexican music and had a delicious meal on the boat.
Although, we didn't stay at Las Ventanas, it seemed like a large resort to hold a lot of people. The views were not as nice from most areas of the resort and the whole resort seemed to be stark white looking desolate and not as inviting as the Esperanza.
The Esperanza was a definite favorite that we will be returning to next year. If you go, definitely try out "The Restaurant" at the resort that has amazing views and delicious food.

johnbaby Aug 12th, 2003 12:53 PM

I have the same question as Missydan. I see where Annabelle definitely liked her stay with Esperanza. Was wondering if there are others out there that have stayed at both Las Ventanas and Esperanza in order to compare the two. I'm also looking at throwing in another-Marquis Los Cabos which looks great as well- if anyone has stayed there would like to hear the feedback.
Also, are the "Palapa" level rooms worth the extra price at Esperanza? Any info. is appreciated.

johnbaby Aug 13th, 2003 07:25 AM

topping

dlm Aug 13th, 2003 10:59 AM

I have gone to dinner at Las Ventanas and toured the public areas. Since I was not a guest, I can't comment on the rooms or service. However, my feeling was that the hotel lacked intimacy. It is gorgeous, but not charming. The pool area is huge and also a bit of a scene. In other words, a lot of wealthy middle-age Americans wearing Gucci and talking on cell phones. Again, it's gorgeous -- just not small and romantic (in my opinion).

dawnd Aug 13th, 2003 11:53 AM

Hi,
I have planned a trip for my family to visit Esperanza during the Christmas Holiday - I would also love feedback on Esperanza - we are staying on the Residence Side - in a 3 bedroom Villa -(we are 2 families traveling together with 2 small children) if ayone has any info on that I would appreciate it - any location I should request - Also is anyone has been to Cabo in December - what is the weather typically like? Any honest insight would be very much appreciated!

kwil Aug 14th, 2003 09:05 AM

I stayed at Las Ventanas before Esperanza was finished. While it was beautiful, I would agree that it does lack intimacy. Even though it isn't a huge resort, to me, it felt like it was. You are in this beautiful place and it was like no one got it. So my complaint may be more about the guests while I was there than the actual place. Also, I don't mind paying a lot for a great vacation but I hate getting gauged for things like water when it is over 100 degrees outside. Stop spraying me with Evian and hand me a bottle!! That being said, the rooms were beautiful, bathrooms especially, and food was great! Loved the ceviche & tequila bar! If you go, I would do the packages because the food is quite pricey and yes, the beach is not great.

meljoy Aug 14th, 2003 02:11 PM

I am planning a honeymoon in October in Los Cabos and am trying to decide between Palmilla and Las Ventanas. Can someone also clear up the weather situation in October? Is it hurrican season or not? Is more rain expected in October than other times of the year?