Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   entrance fees for tulum and chichen itza (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/entrance-fees-for-tulum-and-chichen-itza-391106/)

lutherkins Jul 8th, 2008 10:25 AM

entrance fees for tulum and chichen itza

Hi,
If we are visiting Tulum and Chichen Itza on our own (not a tour) do we need pesos to pay our admission fee and parking or can we use US dollars?
Thanks just trying to figure out if we need to convert money at the airport.

McD1942 Jul 8th, 2008 01:09 PM

Hi, I went to both sites in January, and the entry charge was in Peso,also be aware that the car park at Tulum is a good distance from the ruins entrance but, there is a tractor type train that runs from the car park area to the ruin entrace. At Chichen Itza take plenty of water with you.

lutherkins Jul 8th, 2008 02:34 PM

Thanks I'll make sure to have pesos. We're staying at an all inclusive so I wasn't originally planning on converting money.
McD1942:
Did you drive yourself to the two ruins? That's what we are thinking of doing. How was the drive? Any pointers?

McD1942 Jul 9th, 2008 08:38 AM

Hi Lutherkins, we also stayed in an all inclusive. Our first trip was to Tulum which was not to far so, we took a taxi.For our trip to the Coba site, which by the way is very interesting,we arranged with one of the bellboys at our hotel for a private car for a set rate which was cheaper then a taxi,he sat and waited for us in the car park, one tip worth doing there is to get there early before the tourist buses arrive and hire a rickshaw, its a modified bycycle which seats two people at the back and the driver pedals at the front.This site is quite exstensive so I would reccomend hiring one.For our visit to Chitzen Itza we went on a organised bus tour, which called at a cenote for a swim, then called for lunch before entering the site. The site at Coba allows you to climb the pyramid, which I managed to do.

Reisender Jul 9th, 2008 01:21 PM

Renting a car is another option and the driving in that area is quite easy. Last year we stayed at Dreams Tulum and rented a car for one day (at the hotel through Avis) and drove to Coba and then stopped at Tulum on way back to hotel. Easy to drive to Coba. Go early, hire one of the "rickshaw" type "taxis" and have the young man pedal you around the site. Parking at Tulum ruins is easy, nice large lot. Pay your admission and then the shuttles take you to the ruins proper, or you can walk.

As I recall our daily rental rate, with 100 percent insurance coverage, was around $60, and of course we had to buy gas, but that was not much as Coba is only about 40 kilometers inland from Tulum. Used hardly any gas. I did make the reservaton before leaving home for the car.

abrown Jul 9th, 2008 05:53 PM

Reisender, did you enjoy your time at Dreams Tulum? We are considering taking a large family there (16 of us with ages ranging from 1 - 60). Would you recommend this resort for young children? preteen? Thanks for your help, I'd really appreciate your advice!

jette Jul 10th, 2008 08:46 AM

I just saw this:

Mexico closes 5 small hotels south of Cancun

13 hours ago
MEXICO CITY (AP) Mexico's Environmental Department is closing down at least five small, upscale hotels and three other developments south of Cancun.
Officials say the businesses don't have permission to operate in the protected area near the Tulum Ruins.
Inspectors and soldiers arrived Monday to post closed signs. They say they will be back on Friday to permanently close the businesses and begin clearing out guests.
The closures were officially announced Wednesday.
Hotel owners say their papers are in order and the government can't shut them down.
Federal environmental prosecutor Patricio Patron says the hotels could eventually be demolished if the owners can't prove their legal right to the land. But he says that will take a year or more.

RUMOR and I repeat, RUMOR has it Dreams Tulum has been affected.

Reisender Jul 10th, 2008 01:12 PM

Jette that is interesting indeed. After reading the news reports it sounds like it is the resorts just to the south of the ruins, but Dreams is pretty close as well.

abrown, we liked Dreams a lot. We were there with another couple and had a great time. The rooms were great, the food was excellent in all the dining areas, and the staff and service was great. The only thing my wife and I did not like was that they tended to make their mixed drinks a bit too sweet, so we stuck with beer, wine, and nice simple drinks like gin and tonic. We did not have kids with us but there is a nice kids club for the younger ones. We found the ages of the guests to be a broad range. If it helps the four of us range from late 50s to late 60s and we did not feel out of place. I think you would enjoy it.

Best service was from Vickie at the quiet pool by the way!