Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Enjoyed Monteverde & Arenal: WHERE to NEXT in Costa Rica, besides the Osa? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/enjoyed-monteverde-and-arenal-where-to-next-in-costa-rica-besides-the-osa-772140/)

Melissa5 Mar 9th, 2009 04:35 PM

Enjoyed Monteverde & Arenal: WHERE to NEXT in Costa Rica, besides the Osa?

What highlights did we miss in Costa Rica, besides the Osa peninsula?

My husband and I have been invited to a destination wedding in Costa Rica, at Villa Caletas. We are considering taking the opportunity to explore more of Costa Rica in January/February 2010.

Our first trip to Costa Rica was a family trip...it was fabulous! This will be just the 2 of us, most likely. My favorite places on the first trip were magical Monteverde Cloud Forest, and the fascinating Hanging Bridges in Arenal.

Loved Lost Iguana resort in Arenal, where we had a perfect view of the volcano lava every night.

Loved the little community up at Monteverde, and the good food up there. Johnny's Pizzeria was fun. I enjoyed the Monterde Cloud Forest, and also appreciated the facilities there...having restrooms plus a little cafeteria at the park's entrance was a big plus for me, especially since I finished the walk ahead of my husband, who tends to linger on the trails, being a biologist.

Where to next? Bosque del Cabo on the Osa has been suggested. We're considering that. Haven't made the final decision as it's a bit more remote than anyplace we visited on our first trip.

Oh...we already saw Manuel Antonio, but even though I loved Hotel Si Como No, I found the Manuel Antonio area in general to be too overtouristed. It was also too hot!

We really loved Hotel Bougainvillea in Heredia on our first trip...it was a stay near the airport, and they have a wonderful garden!

It is tempting to return to Monteverde, despite the rough drive up there. We stayed at El Sapo Dorado last time, but I'd try a new accommodation on our next visit.

My husband is a biologist, whereas I'm more of a writer and a dreamer. We want to plan a trip that has something for both of us. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

volcanogirl Mar 9th, 2009 11:23 PM

If you go back to Monteverde, we really liked Fonda Vela; they have some new junior suites that are big and nice and pretty affordable. Our room had a frig, t.v. (didn't use it), and a bathtub, plus a nice sitting area with a view of the garden. We saw a lot of beautiful birds on the property, including toucans.

We're thinking of going to Tortuguero for our next trip. I think your husband would really enjoy all the wildlife there. It might be pretty warm though.

Have you been to the Peace Lodge? Damaged in the earthquake but supposed to reopen soon.

colibri Mar 10th, 2009 04:19 AM

I vote for Tortuguero. We were just there last month, absolutely perfect weather, warm, sunny, but not too hot or humid, rain only one night/early AM. We were super lucky with weather and wildlife viewing. I see from your other posts that you are very concerned about bugs and snakes. Your hubby could get his fill of snakes hiking in Tortuguero National Park, you could relax on the boat trips. We had no issues with bugs in our cabins at Laguna Lodge. If you liked Cano Negro, then to me Tortuguero was an extended version - 3 days of wildlife viewing via boat, but also time for pool, walking, visiting village and just chilling out. You have to make an effort to get there - no roads so you either take the boat or can fly in/out one way.
Since you loved MV, have you thought about going around Cerro de la Muerte, Savegre Valley and those areas south of San Jose? Not nearly as developed as some other areas of CR.

RAC Mar 10th, 2009 05:33 AM

La Selva Biological Station!!!! Honestly, the Sarapiqui area is the best wildlife area we've been to in the country, and I can't imagine other places (other than Osa) being any better. You see more there just walking between your car and your room than you do in most other wildlife spotting places.

volcanogirl Mar 10th, 2009 09:25 AM

RAC, would you advise waiting to visit that area since they were hit by the floods, or do you think things are fairly back to normal now?

colibri Mar 10th, 2009 09:41 AM

VG, Two weeks ago the only sign we saw of tours not being offered in the Sarapiqui area was at Selva Verde. Their bridge going over the river to their private reserve has been destroyed and is lying in pieces in the river debris, so you can't go hiking there. There are still a lot of tree trunks and limbs in the river, but the water was running much clearer than I expected. Right after the earthquake and landslides, it was almost pure brown, just full of soil/mud. I didn't ask when they were planning to replace the bridge. Rafting trips were not being offered, but are being done on other rivers. La Selva and Tirimbina were offering several options for tours, Heliconia Island is nice. I think I read about a private birding reserve nearby - maybe Rara Avis or something like that? I loved the area and want to go back - mainly because I didn't see any frogs and it's supposed to be frog heaven!

RAC Mar 10th, 2009 09:49 AM

Volcanogirl:

We were there in the middle of the floods and rain. We still saw a ton of wildlife. La Selva's bridge is over the Puerto Viejo river, not the Sarapiqui.

At any time there are dozens of biologists and students conducting research at La Selva, so not only would Melissa5's husband find people to talk to, but the animals themselves are accustomed to people.

To put things in perspective, here's what we saw the morning of our La Selva tour during the rain before and after our tour even began, i.e. without taking a step on the actual tour.

Howler monkeys (Selva Verde)
Green and black poison dart frog (path from our room to the parking lot at Selva Verde)
Crested Guan (in the trees by the La Selva reception desk)
4 BIG Iguanas (trees by the La Selva suspension bridge near the reception desk)
Chestnut-mandibled toucan (trees by the La Selva suspension bridge near the reception desk)
Keel-billed toucan (trees by the La Selva suspension bridge near the reception desk)
About 6-8 different kinds of tanagers and other birds like the Montezuma's Oropendola (area around reception desk)
A pack of 10 Peccaries--(area around the reception desk and bridge)
Slaty-tailed trogon (road leaving La Selva)

We saw tons more on the tour itself, which was limited the day we went because the rain had caused tree branches to fall and block several trails. If a person were to stay at La Selva itself for 2-3 nights, I can't even imagine how much wildlife they'd see.

volcanogirl Mar 10th, 2009 09:51 AM

Thanks, guys; that area is still on our to do list.

RAC Mar 10th, 2009 09:52 AM

I should also add that we saw about ten collared aracaris that morning at breakfast as well as a bunch of tanagers and some euphonias as well.

shillmac Mar 10th, 2009 05:08 PM

Rara Avis is on our to-do list. WAY remote, difficult to get to, with tons of creepy crawlies! Makes Bosque del Cabo look like the Four Seasons--or so I understand. LOL

Costa Rica has expanded my comfort zone considerably! Now I'll try just about anything--once. :)

Melissa5 Mar 10th, 2009 05:22 PM

volcanogirl: I'd like to try Fonda Vela on our next visit to Monteverde; it sounds nice. Considering a return trip to Monteverde for this visit. I didn't know Peace Lodge was damaged in the earthquake...haven't kept up with news lately.

colibri: Thanks, lots of great suggestions! I'll check into those places. We never stayed at Cano Negro, by the way.

Time for dinner, so thanks everybody. I'm eager to look into all these suggestions. Haven't given up on the Osa yet...I just have to decide how adventurous I want to be...

volcanogirl Mar 10th, 2009 06:19 PM

Mel, Fonda Vela also had a nice little restaurant with a fireplace in the dining room; we loved it because it was cold and rainy while we were there. Hopefully Peace Lodge will be back in full swing soon.

Melissa5 Mar 10th, 2009 10:59 PM

colibri: Thanks for your suggestions of Tortuguero and those areas south of San Jose such as Cerro de la Muerte, Savegre Valley. Sounds like you had a great time and had nice weather and good wildlife viewing at Tortuguero.

RAC, La Selva & Sarapiqui area sounds like a great opportunity. I'm glad you had a memorable trip and I appreciate your list of the wildlife that you saw while waiting for your tour!

volcanogirl: Fonda Vela sounds cozy...I can imagine the fireplace would be welcome when it gets rainy up there. We had rainy afternoons and sunny mornings on our Monteverde visit. I'm thinking I should look more at Peace Lodge, Xandari, and Vista del Valle. We didn't stay at places like that on our first trip as it was a family trip.

shillmac: Do you really think that Bosque del Cabo is the Four Seasons of the Osa? (-: That's a lovely thought.

I'm going to have another look at my Fodors guidebook. I also just bought the new National Geographic guidebook for Costa Rica. I'll see what I come up with this week. You all have given me lots of ideas. Thank you.

volcanogirl Mar 11th, 2009 02:48 AM

Mel, since you specifically say you're anti-creepy crawly, I'll tell you we had huge spiders in our room at Vista del Valle and didn't really like it there. Another recent review talked about roaches in the room. Other people have had better experiences there, but it wasn't our favorite. Our room was a little dark and depressing. Very nice grounds there though. Good luck finding your dream spot.

weizen37 Mar 11th, 2009 07:25 AM

I know you said beside the Osa, but I have to plug one of my favorite spots on earth: www.drakebayholiday.com

My wife and I went back a second time because we enjoyed our stay so much. It's an adventure but in style and comfort.

The woman who owns this place is a biologist, specializing in bugs, so your husband might enjoy meeting her and taking her evening "bug tour."

volcanogirl Mar 11th, 2009 07:35 AM

weizen, that place looks stunning! Wow!

shillmac Mar 11th, 2009 07:10 PM

One of them--the Osa has several "Four Seasons"!

natinwpb Mar 11th, 2009 07:43 PM

We stayed in he Guanacaste area last year and had a great time. We stayed at the Flamingo Beach Resort-beautiful beach and plenty of activities close by.

Melissa5 Mar 11th, 2009 11:41 PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and ideas.

volcanogirl: I sure wouldn't like a dark and depressing room! I appreciate your advice on Vista del Valle.

volcanogirl Mar 12th, 2009 03:31 AM

Mel, if you stayed there, I would just be careful about which room you got. Ours was very dark with dark walls, dark bedding, even the bathroom was really dark with dark green fixtures, and the lights were those yellow bug lights. I've seen pics of other people's rooms that were much nicer, so it may have just been our room. My husband is the most laid-back person ever and always loves every place I pick, but he asked me not to book us there again. I think some of their rooms are more up to date than others.