Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (
-   Mexico & Central America (
-   -   Electricity in Mexico (

aries1976 Apr 7th, 2006 10:07 AM

Electricity in Mexico
Hey everyone, quick question, What is the power like in mexico, we are staying at the Dreams Resort, and wondering are we going to need anything special to charge Video Camera's, Ipods, etc.? or do they use the standard 2 prong plugs as we do?

mikemo Apr 7th, 2006 11:31 AM

Same as the EUA (USA).

Javelina Apr 7th, 2006 02:43 PM

Should be pretty standard (like US plugs).

suze Apr 7th, 2006 02:52 PM

yup, it's the same. if you have any 3-pronged items you might want to take an adapter for 3 to 2. 2 prong outlet is common.

CharlotteYork Apr 13th, 2006 05:58 AM

There's no need for a prong adapter at the Dreams Resort. They have 3 prong outlets. I had no problems charging my video camera. By the way, Dreams is SPECTACULAR in every way. It far exceeded my expectations.

TioGringo Apr 13th, 2006 03:36 PM

Well, that's one resort...and a very gringo-ized one at that.

Suze is a LOT of places (especially smaller hotels, bed and breakfasts, etc.), it's very common to have a simple 2-prong outlet and having the adapter makes a lot of sense.

Have fun!

suze Apr 13th, 2006 03:46 PM

I should have specified my answer was to "what is the power like in mexico"... not specific to the Dreams Resort (where I have never stayed).

As Mark confirms above, my experience is only in the smaller local hotels and apartments I've rented.

mikemo Apr 14th, 2006 07:30 AM

I forgot to mention that 120v is actually about 137v (shorter bulb life) where we live, but we have a digital "supressor" downstream which lowers and stabilizes the v, and we use surge protectors for all electronics.

FainaAgain Jan 24th, 2007 02:18 PM

Bookmarking for April.

mikemo Jan 25th, 2007 03:53 PM

You are always welcome here at our house in el pueblo magico.
Cat 5/ethernet 1 MGB Cable in every room.
Yes, you need a MX FM-T visa and a few pesos.

FainaAgain Jan 26th, 2007 07:49 AM

Mike, I need a visa????????

Darn it, never crossed my mind I should need it.

Wait a moment, why I didn't need a visa getting off the cruise ship?

Or you mean Visa as a credit card?

mikemo Jan 26th, 2007 11:21 AM

A travel visa to leave the port and an ATM for pesos. CCs optional.
No US cash, or TTC as the exchange rate is unfavorable.

FainaAgain Jan 26th, 2007 11:56 AM


If you are a citizen of Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Island, Israel, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, San Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, United States of America, Uruguay or Venezuela, you donít need a visa to enter Mexico, although you must present a valid passport and fill out an immigration form for tourists and business trips, which can be obtained in travel agencies, airlines or at the point where you enter Mexico.

This means, as a US citizen I don't need a visa now, only the passport, and I will fill out a form at the entrance point (the tour guides usually have all forms, or get them for tour participants)

Whew, had me worried for a couple of hours :)

mikemo Jan 26th, 2007 04:15 PM

That's called a FM-T visa here in Mexico. It's available to anyone travelling beyond a few km of coasts and borders.
It must be retained and surrendered when leaving Mexico (otherwise, they will charge you $25. - $45. US).
Guess visa definitions/concepts are variable.
M (SMdA, Gto.)

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:16 AM.