Search

El Sanjuanino

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
El Sanjuanino

Today I was in the Recoleta area and I was both hungry and in a hurry.

I said to myself: "I haven't been to 'El Sanjuanino' for quite a while, let's try it."

This very small restaurant, which specializes in "empanadas" (Argentine meat pies) and some other local foods, has often been mentioned in travel forums and suggested by top expert dr_dawggy.

So, I went down to Posadas & Callao, where it is located. It was full of tourists, which is great, of course.

I asked whether I could eat at the counter (I was in a hurry, remember?) and they said OK.

I had three "empanadas" (Argentine meat pies) and a bottle of my favorite (Villavicencio) carbonated mineral water. Cost: 2 dollars.

It could have been even less, because many people would have been satisfied with just two "empanadas", instead of three. I was there for 5 or at the most 10 minutes.

So, if you are touring the Recoleta and want a quick and cheap lunch, consider this option.

Yesterday, I had lunch in an Italian restaurant in the same area. The meal took hours, the food was just decent, the service was terribly slow and the cost was high, by Argentine standards.

If you want some dessert after your "El Sanjuanino" empanadas, walk three blocks to Freddo, in the corner of Quintana and Ayacucho and have some great Argentine ice cream.

If this thread generates interest, I can go again next Saturday and research other things on their menu.

Have a good time in our country.

Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 03:26 PM

Hi Avrooster again! Wow, that sounds like a place for us! Yes, do more ! Research, that is..I am brushing up on my espanol! Mel
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Alt 164 for the "ñ" Mel!!! LOL!!!!
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 02:38 AM

hey Av, good to see you posting "over here". I love El Sanjuanino, I take friends there all the time when they visit - even took a group of food and wine journalists there one night after they told me they'd had two weeks straight of parrillas and needed something relaxed, fun, and casual. The loved it, one of them even wrote the experience up in her travel column!
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

Hear, hear!!!!!

Never mind what I said, the above is the opinion of a food & beverage expert!!!!!