Notices

El Presidente vs Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 08:02 PM
Pam

El Presidente vs Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach

Could someone please compare the two hotels in Cancun? I am planning to go in June for my honeymoon and could not decide between the two. Specifically I was looking for accomodations, prices, staff, beach. Thanks

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Ron

Hi Pam, We have stayed at the Fiesta Americana Coral Beach five times. It is a great hotel. The beach is good but I think the pool area is the nicest in CanCun. On this last trip they overbooked and needed 75 rooms. they offered to take us to the new JW Marriott or Ritz Carlton. Also they gave us two hundred dollars credit at the hotel and dinner in the Coral Reef with a bottle of wine. they also gave us a two for one coupon for three nights when we return.They met us at the Marriott and made sure every one was checked in without problems . they also took care of our airport transportation .
They acted as though we were doing them a great favor. The Coral Beach will always be our hotel of choice!! Ron

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 07:46 AM
Don

Pam, I think that the 2 hotels are in a different class. If money is not a problem go for the Coral beach, I hear it is the best but if you have more of a limited budget then the Presidente is a better choice cause of the great beach and it is a decent hotel but not as new and glitzy as others yet well maintained, clean and I believe the best beach in all of Cancun.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 04:22 PM
cd

The earlier reply is correct - these two are in completely different price categories. The Coral is Four Seasons or Ritz quality. The Presidente is more like a Sheraton. I just was in Cancun and checked them both out. The Presidente has a beautiful beach that goes way out before becoming deep. It's pool area is kind of boring. One or two basic rectangle shaped pools. The Coral has a large pool complex with interesting designed pools and swim up bars. Both are large hotels but the Coral I believe is probably 1/2 to 2 times larger. It has a large convention complex. The sand portion of the beach at Coral is pretty narrow between water and pool complex. I stayed at Fiesta Americana Cancun, which is in between these two hotels in location. It is similar design to Coral but not near as luxurious. It is in between in pool and beach complex also. Interesting pools but smaller than Coral. More sand than Coral but less than Presidente. I will definetely go back there. I am sure Coral would be wonderful, if you don't mind the size and price. Presidente is kind of boxy looking, just like its pool

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 06:48 PM
Mordecai

We are going to the Presidente tomorrow for 4 nights. The only reason we are going there is because there is a 90 buck per night rate on Expedia. Can't beat that for a cheap getaway! The beach looks wonderful, and like other poster said, pools look kind of boring from websites. I'll let you know when we get back!!

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 06:30 PM
Mordecai

Is anyone still interested in hearing about the Presidente?

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 06:09 AM
Don

Please tell us what you thought of the place.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 06:23 AM
Juan

Mordacaie let us know what you thought of the hotel, I read another post of yours about a meal you had in a little local place to eat in Cancun, I was wondering did you finish the refried beans after you got the cockroach out?

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 07:36 AM
Mordecai

(I think I’m going to do this in multiple posts b/c it won’t let me post it all at once….)

Don Juan - The hotel was much nicer than I expected it to be (considering we paid less than 100 bucks per night!) It is fairly basic and one of the first hotels in Cancun. Let me say up front that if we could score a great price like that again, we would definitely go back. It’s in a great location with a great beach and is very clean.

The Lobby: this was nothing to look. Certainly you cannot compare this to the JW Marriott or Marriott Casa Magna (which we visited) or the Ritz and other top hotels in Cancun. It is not new or glitzy, but it felt like we were in Mexico. It’s very wide open.

The Fitness Center: I think they had like 4 treadmills, a few other cardio machines and some weight machines. Nothing special. No free weights. 2 TVs.

The Rooms: When we first got there they gave us a smoking room facing the street (lagoon side). We asked for a non-smoking room and they moved us to the other tower overlooking the ocean / pool (MUCH BETTER). The room was spacious and clean. There was a bed, table with 2 chairs and another lounge chair. Of course the TV/hutch, mini bar etc. There was ample closet and storage space. There are no balconies, which kind of stunk.

The Bathrooms (in room): The bathroom had a separate shower/toilet from the sink (which we like for "getting ready" purposes). The sink area had lots of counter space for our toiletries. Nice big, thick towels. Good water pressure etc.

Pool: There were two pools, but we only went in one. They are basically square. One was really big with a volleyball net and a swim up bar (which was closed at the time b/c of the season - it's probably open now). There are like 5 little Jacuzzis (same water as pool so not hot) - they flow over into the pool - you can lie out in the sun like half in the water and half out. Pool was nothing fancy, but it certainly exceeded my expectations. It was big and clean with lots of chairs. Towels they give are big and thick. There are a few ping-pong tables in the pool area.

Beach: BEAUTIFUL! We were on the beach the whole time. They have straw umbrella hut things with little tables and nice chairs set up. You can be in the sun or the shade. Lots of palm trees, white, clean sand. The swim area is like a big sand bar...you can walk with the water up to about your knees for a fairly long distance out. Water is calm – no waves and not really deep enough to swim actually (unless you go out beyond the buoys). We had snorkels but didn't see anything. The water was crystal and there was nothing funky floating in it. We walked down the beach, and found that the beach at the Presidente was much superior to some others we walked by.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 07:37 AM
Mordecai

Continued...

Food: We only ate lunch once at the hotel – sitting outside in our bathing suites watching the ocean. The food was very good and so was service. We also at the inside/outside restaurant out near the beach for breakfast one day. They have a wonderful buffet breakfast with fresh fruit and all sorts of eggs, hot food etc. Service was great and so was food. There is an outdoor bar here too where we stopped each day before heading up to our room for a few cocktails. We’ve been at much nicer beach-type bars in other places. It was just okay (as far as view b/c it’s sort of blocked).

Service: There are waiters running around by the hundreds it seems, taking drink and food orders, so you'll never go thirsty out in the sun! The overall service was great (again, not comparing it to a Four Seasons or anything – they don’t fix your towels or spray you with Evian or bring you complimentary fruit in the afternoon).

General: The hotel was very clean, rooms were quiet - even sleeping with the windows open. Again, this is not a first class hotel or anything, but it was very nice nonetheless.

Location: This hotel is in a great location b/c you can walk to all of the nightlife. It is walking distance to some grocery stores, restaurants, shopping (typical Mexican stuff) and almost all of the bars / nightclubs. Most of the other hotels require you to take a taxi or bus to the nightlife (which is actually very easy anyway). Let me know if you want more specifics

I’m trying to think what else. What else do you want to know? Hope this helps a little.

And by the way…. NO!! I PUT THE PLATE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE TABLE when I found the roach!!! I was like 2 bites into my tostadas. I didn’t even tell the waiter b/c I figured it wasn’t worth it. They were obviously struggling to make a living or whatever and I figured it wasn’t worth my 8 bucks or however much it was. We just smiled, paid, said gracias and left. I’m still recovering.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:37 PM
deb

we only stayed at one of the two hotels--fiesta americana grand coral beach--but it was a truly wonderful hotel. loved it immensely.