Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

El Dorado Resort & Spa In Kantenah. Anyone Been There?

Old Feb 16th, 2000, 05:51 PM
Tim

Would appreciate hearing from anyone familiar with the El Dorado Resort. I think this is a new resort located just south of Akumal. Website and brochures look impressive.

Thanks,

Tim

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 08:22 AM
Marcie

Hi Tim,
My husband and I stayed there two years ago. We really enjoyed the resort. It's quite small and intimate. I would only go here if you are lookinbg for a quiet time. The advantage is that it is an adult only resort. There was good snorkling right off shore. The food was okay, not great. We're going to the Bahia Principe Tulum on the 26th of February. We would have gone back here, we just decided to try something different.

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 03:03 PM
mimi

Tim, we're heading down on March 4th so if you want i'll give you the scoop when we come back. When are you interested in going? Mimi

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 05:00 PM
Tim

Mimi, thanks for the offer. We're tentatively planning for the first week in May. As I mentioned before, the El Dorado looks very nice, and we like the adults only aspect (as Marcie mentioned - Thanks Marcie!). This will be our first trip to Mexico but alas, there are SO many beautiful places along the Riviera Maya which makes choosing a destination difficult. We are also leaning toward the Playa area. Anyway, hope you have a GREAT TIME, and please do post your experience upon return.

Thanks,

Tim

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 07:03 PM
Marianne

Tim...
We were at El Dorado last May. The beach leaves a lot to be desired. You cannot go into the water directly from the beach because there is so much rock and concrete chunks dumped in the water to stop erosion, I assume. You must go down the pier to snorkle and it is fair.

Food was very good in the restraunt down by the jacuzzi, otherwise unimpressive.

It is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. I would rate it a C. Be sure to NOT get a room down by the disco, because if you aren't into staying up till about 2 am listening to loud music and drunks you will be disappointed.

We have stayed in several very nice all inclusive places in PV, Ixtapa, and Cancun and this place had the LAMEST nightly entertainment I have ever seen. We are pretty easily amused, but these were painful.

Anyway have fun, I am glad we were only there 4 days. Be sure to take in the trip to XelHa, that was the BEST part of our trip.
Marianne and Robb