Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

El Dorado Resort & Spa....Has anyone been there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going there for our honeymoon in a few weeks and I was just wondering about rooms, food, etc...Also should we take a boat ride over to Cozumel one day? We've never been to Mexico. So any information about this area (near Tulum) would be greatly apprieciated. (the honeymoon was free so we didn't get to pick the place.)
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 10:35 AM

I am going to El Dorado R & S in a few weeks too. I'm going with a friend who has been to the resort three other times and really likes it. I would like to hear some reviews from Fodorites too though. Anyone?
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 07:03 PM
me

Try debbiescaribbeanresortreviews.com/mexico/mexrevind.html
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 06:16 AM

Wow, reviews are really bad. Although they use the names "El dorado Resort" and "El dorado royale" interchangeably but they are actually two different resorts. If you go to the tripadvisor websites the reviews for the El Dorado Resort are pretty good. I don't understand how they can vary so widely from person to person.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Kath,

I read the tripadvisor reviews too and it didn't sound to bad. Word of mouth is that Eldorado is just fine if you are not looking for a fancy, pamper me vacation. I just want somewhere to relax with my new husband after all of this wedding planning!

When are you going? We go at the end of October. I would love it if you can post a trip report!

Thanks!
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 01:16 PM

We are going on Oct 13th - 18th. Like I said, I'm not too worried about it because the person I'm going with has been 3 times to this resort and loves it. Plus the travel agent we used goes to this place a couple of times a year and he showed us pictures and it looked fine. I'll post an update when I get back. Congratulations on your wedding.
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 04:03 PM

It has been a while since I have been there, but it was very relaxing and out of the way. Good for romantic trips and less activity oriented. You can do them, but overall it is more like a secluded getaway. Not sure where your rooms are, but some open up right on the beach and it is very quiet and laid back.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 11:37 AM

We were at ElDorado Royale in march of this year and we thought it was excellent and very good value. The rooms, even the standard like we had, are very good, the food and drinks are very good, and the staff is top notch. Note that we were at ROYALE, which is NORTH of Playa Del Carmen, and from what I have read is the better of the two resorts. I have posted a more complete trip report in this site if you want to search for it (back in late march early april). Overall, we were extremely happy with the ROYALE Resort and Spa (can not speak to the other one down by Tulum).
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 02:13 PM

Actually I was talking about the one in Tulum. But I hear the Royale is nice.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 02:48 PM
me

Acctually it IS the Royale( 5* , North of PDC) that got some horrible reviews ! the other one by Tulum is only a 3 and a half stars- I don't think people expect much from it anyway !
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 02:15 PM
me

here for those who needs info on EDR..