Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   El Dorado Resort and Spa (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/el-dorado-resort-and-spa-250743/)

Ron Aug 18th, 2002 12:59 PM

El Dorado Resort and Spa

We are planning a trip to EDRS and have read many different reports about this resort. We have stayed at AI's before and understand how some things aren't US quality. But would like to know more about this resort.

BeenThere Aug 22nd, 2002 02:10 PM

Ron,<BR><BR>It all depends on what you want and what you expect from you vacation. I have seen some bad reports and I though "yeah, didn't you see at least a brochure about the place before your card went down???". My husband and I were there a few years ago and we are returning this February. In 9 years or travelling. this will be the first time we returned to a resort. We have been to fancier and shmancier resorts but this one is "us". If you tell me what you would like to do or what kind of amenities you feel are important at a resort, I may be able to answer your questions. <BR><BR>You're right many things aren't Us quality but many other things are better than in the US.

smoore Aug 30th, 2002 09:43 AM

I just got back from EDRS and was very pleasantly surprised. I went with some trepidation because I had also read some bad reviews. I was on something of a budget and thought the place was a great bargain. The beach is long and nice; the sand is a coral type as opposed to fine, but is eminently walkable in bare feet. The water at the north/east of the resort is rocky; however if you walk to the south/west part of the resort to an area between the pier and a jetty the water is fine to go in if you walk a bit carefully. People were snorkeling; but they only rented the equipment for an hour. The staff is the nicest that I've seen in a while. Breakfasts are great. Lunch and dinner are okay, with good salad bars; there are also two specialty restaurants that most people seemed to enjoy. I am a vegetarian and found plenty to eat. Ages run the gamut. To my untrained single male eye, the place also seemed lesbian friendly. Different bartenders make different strength drinks but you can always ask them to strengthen them if you like. Rooms are very clean, though sometimes not made up till mid-afternoon. I would go back in a minute. Some of the other guests and I were wondering what people had complained about. You can spend more money and get a more luxurious place. But for a relaxing, quiet vacation at a good price I would recommend it.

RMC Aug 30th, 2002 02:18 PM

smoore,<BR><BR>did you see any rooms that still have the jacuzzi on the patio?

smoore Aug 30th, 2002 02:42 PM

I didn't see any jacuzzis on any patios. I did not however look at all the units. There could have been but I didn't see any. The grounds, however, were immaculate.