Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Eating Economically in Cancun - Need Help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/eating-economically-in-cancun-need-help-267416/)

tene Oct 21st, 2002 09:30 AM

Eating Economically in Cancun - Need Help!

My boyfriend and I are travelling to Cancun Nov. 16th. It's his first time and we are staying at Le Meridian. However, they didn't have an all -inclusive option so we will need to eat out each day. Can anyone recommend some nice, but not too pricey places for dinner & breakfast? I used to go to Captain's Cove each morning which had a great buffet for only about $7, but this was 6 years ago and I don't know how the restaurant scene is anymore. Help!!

Lacey Oct 21st, 2002 11:12 AM

The restaurant scene can be quite expensive in Cancun. This is why I choose all inclusive. There are some local eating places in the heart of downtown Cancun that are reasonably priced for lunch and dinner. I'm not sure about breakfasts though.

Jean Valjean Oct 21st, 2002 11:40 AM

100% Natural is a very reliable choice. They have great, fresh food and very reasonable prices (for Cancun or anywhere). There's one in Plaza Kukulcan, one in Plaza Myamar and another downtown. The Taco Inn chain is also good and inexpensive.<BR><BR>If not, there's always Burger King.

cindy Oct 21st, 2002 04:48 PM

Try this website, www.entertainment-plus.net and let me know how it works out. We are going to buy one of these cards the next time we go to Mexico.

Dee Oct 21st, 2002 06:53 PM

Captain's Cove is still there and continues to have breakfast specials in that price range. They have an even cheaper "continental" breakfast that is around $4.00. Highly recommended for dinner as well, beautiful sunsets on the lagoon.

tene Oct 22nd, 2002 06:33 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. I have been doing some research online and there are some very expensive restaurants. Cindy, I did got to that website for the entertainment card, but I'm not sure if I want to buy it yet. They don't cover many restaurants. Their tours seem very expensive as well.

Robert Oct 22nd, 2002 07:26 AM

I enjoy eating at the many restaurants "off the beaten track" in the central area. I know that many people will be afraid of that option but I have been going to Cancun since its start and never have a problem. Just use your own good judgement and you will be OK.

hector Oct 22nd, 2002 08:58 AM

For dinner I like hoping on the bus to downtown and eating on that row of restaurants across from that big fountain. Good food, good prices.

michele Oct 22nd, 2002 04:41 PM

My husband and I bought the entertainment card last year on our trip and used it almost every night. At the nicer restaurants (such as the Blue Bayou), dinner for two with the card will still end up costing around $50 to $60.

Judi Oct 24th, 2002 08:17 AM

Michele - we are going to Cancun this December with our 3 teens. We thought we might get two of the cards. I understand we can use them both at the same time. Do you think this would be a good idea for us? Did you get it through Brant Boston?

Fran Oct 24th, 2002 06:14 PM

Purchase the 2x1 card it will pay for it self with your first meal.

michele Oct 26th, 2002 10:18 AM

Yes to both questions. I think it would be a good idea to purchase 2 cards and I did buy it from Brandt.

Karen Nov 16th, 2002 07:59 AM

I believe that Captain's Cove will be closed for about 6 weeks to enlarge the kitchen and perhaps replace the roof.