Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Easter in Buenos Aires (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/easter-in-buenos-aires-489732/)

FuDeva Dec 7th, 2004 05:01 PM

Easter in Buenos Aires

I am thinking about going to BA the week after Easter. Will anything be open?

Also is there anything I should be especially concerned about if I should be traveling by myself (especially as a woman)?

Dave Dec 9th, 2004 06:57 AM

I was in BsAs this past March, and while I can't speak "directly" to the question about things being open, I certainly saw no indication that the Easter Holiday would shut down the sights you'd most like to see......

OTOH: I would recommend that you contact someone like Cintia @ wow-argentina (who is often given very high reviews on this forum), to determine if my impression is correct.

As for safety of travel, I would expect that you'd exercise the same level of observation and common sense in BsAs that you'd use in any other major metropolitan city. There's nothing in the areas you're likely to visit which should pose an "undue" risk. This is with the understanding that you're also unlikely to go to La Boca at nite.

Have a great trip!! Dave

drdawggy Dec 9th, 2004 07:09 AM

I had hoped to take a group to Buenos Aires over Easter, but I could not find a hotel that could accomodate us. Expect lots of tourists.

RE: Safety. Take radio taxis after dark.

travdis Dec 9th, 2004 12:58 PM

I just returned from Buenos Aires strongly feel and The downtown tourist areas of Buenos Aires were at least as safe as walking in midtown NYC.

There is 1000s of people walking the streets and no one paid any attention to us at all. Most Americans fit right in.

Graziella5b Dec 11th, 2004 01:47 AM

As drdawggy says lots of Argentineans choose Eastern week to visit Buenos Aires. Most hotels tend to be full. But there is always a room someplace....
You must be alert, take reputable radio taxis which is very easy and are very inexpensive. IT is a lively city , tons of things to do, and having dollars brings a pleasant feeling of being able to afford almost everything. I love the restaurants, great food,
for this item I recommend a book published by
two local women, called LOS Recomendados, it is a little red book, text is both English and Spanish.
Can be bought at THe Ateneo bookshop , which is the main bookshop in Buenos AIRES.( something like Bretanos in NY).THIS LITllet book is a jewel, it is honest, updated and most useful.
Also a good idea for a woman traveling alone is to do a personalized tour of the city by WOW. I found it like going out with a friend that knows the city.

Graziella5b Dec 11th, 2004 01:50 AM

If you are alone FUDeva also a good b&b can be a great idea, I highly recommend ( I have not stayed there but a friend of mine has, and I visited the place) the b&B called La Otra Orilla. THis is a charming place, with only five rooms beautifully decorated, there is patio with a pergola for breakfast. There you can totally private but at the same time will be easier to have some one to talk to if you feel like it. They only have five rooms.

FuDeva Dec 11th, 2004 01:34 PM

Thanks for your responses...actually I made reservations at the Alvear Palace so I am okay on hotel reservations. I am from NYC so I assume with basic common sense I should be alright.

Thanks again for your help.

Graziella5b Dec 11th, 2004 01:52 PM

Hi Du Feva, the Alvear Palace Hotel is the Grand Dame of the Buenos Aires hotels. It is chic and classic and has a very nice location. Enjoy your stay.
( If you wish better advise that the one the Congierge can give you, even the Alvear's concierge get the little red book for restaurants)