Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Early November, Water Bungalows, Excellend Medical Facilities (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/early-november-water-bungalows-excellend-medical-facilities-1025053/)

Kavey Sep 8th, 2014 09:40 PM

Early November, Water Bungalows, Excellend Medical Facilities

Can anyone help me identify countries/ resorts that offer the following:

* Early to mid-November visit (for probably a fortnight) so climate good at that time of year
* Preference would be for a water-bungalow style resort, though other options with private pools per room may be a possibility
* Must have quick access to first class medical facilities, preferably not just a doctor on site but a nearby hospital with full facilities / all departments

Many thanks for any help, this would be much appreciated.

suze Sep 9th, 2014 12:11 PM

I don't know of many (any?) over the water bungalows at the Mexican beach resorts, like the kind you find in Thailand or the south Pacific.

Is there any flexibility in that requirement? Because the major cities in Mexico offer excellent health care facilities and November is beautiful weather in the beachside resorts.

Kavey Sep 9th, 2014 10:07 PM

Hi Suze
Yes, there absolutely is. I know they would love to do the water bungalow thing, but are open to compromise on that -- in which case resorts/ properties with luxury rooms with personal pools would be an option as well.
Thank you!

suze Sep 10th, 2014 07:50 AM

I only know Puerto Vallarta, but it's typically lovely weather in November (that's when I'm usually there for a couple weeks) and well-respected hospitals and health care. I'm a budget traveler so don't know details about the more high-end luxury resorts and can't think of any place I've read about with private personal pools. But I'll keep my ears open.

emd3 Sep 10th, 2014 02:25 PM

There are overwater bunglaows in Belize ( for instance, Cayo Espanto, very nice, luxury, high end) but not in the Mexican Caribbean. Also some in Honduras, eg. Mango creek Lodge, not a lot of frills there).

Kavey Sep 10th, 2014 09:36 PM

Thanks EMD3, do you have any feedback on medical facilities in the same places as any of those, as that's a key factor.

Suze, great, I'll start looking at the PV options. Thanks!

emd3 Sep 11th, 2014 06:09 AM

No, sorry, I have never been to those countries. Mexico is my country...I own a place on the Caribbean there in Playa del Carmen.

Playa del Carmen has a very good hospital, Hospiten, and so does Cancun, same company, Hospiten. A friend of mine went to the one in Playa for cosmetic surgery and had a good experience. I am a licensed R.N. And I was there with her. My observations were that this is a very good hospital with full services, good bilingual physicians and nurses, and that she recd. very good care.

there are many houses and some condos that have private pools in the Riviera Maya and they come with staff. I am not sure about private pols at the resorts there, but there are some really luxurious ones and my guess is that they do have private pools at some of them. Do some online research. Anything in the Riviera Maya area would be within 30 to 45 min drive of either the P laya or Cancun Hospiten hospital.

Kavey Sep 11th, 2014 10:08 PM

Fabulous, that's extremely helpful, thank you again!

JeanH Sep 13th, 2014 03:32 AM

I live in Belize part time. Good medical care is not it's strong suit. My husband and I both know living there will not be an option if there comes a time when close by, good medical care becomes a necessity.

Kavey Sep 13th, 2014 08:40 AM

Thanks Jean

emd3 Sep 13th, 2014 11:44 AM

JeanH, when time comes you may want to look in the Riviera Maya area, Tulum, Akumal, Playa, etc. All 45 min. or less from Hospiten Hospital. It's a nice area and has a lot to offer re ex-pats if you are into that, great local people, etc.

Stewbear Sep 13th, 2014 12:31 PM

Not Mexico but stayed here 40 years ago
http://www.expedia.com/St-Thomas-And...ls_villa_hotel

Kavey Sep 14th, 2014 10:12 PM

Thank you everyone, I passed all the information back to my friend. They are focusing their further research on Mexico and Thailand as the two suggestions with best medical facilities and beautiful resorts and realise that water bungalows are not really available in those areas, so are looking at properties with private plunge pools etc.

Thanks again for all the advice!