duPlooy's or Cahal Pech Village?

Aug 18th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

duPlooy's or Cahal Pech Village?

Hello fellow travelers,
I will be traveling with a friend to San Iganacio the end of September for 4 days. We stayed at Cahal Pech 9 years ago and liked it. Booked the usual tours through them: Tikal, Xunantunich etc. From what I remember the tours were reasonably priced.

Instead of staying there again, we are considering Duplooy's. We won't have a car and will need to book tours through them. The rates for these tours, according to their website, varies depending on the amount of people on the tour. If it's off-season and only a few people choose a tour, will we be paying through the nose? Has anyone taken a tour with them recently, I'm curious what they charged.

We are excited about the eco-lodge idea but will we regret not having AC? We will have to rely on their food plan as well. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Aug 18th, 2007, 03:20 PM

we were at Duplooy's few years ago. its a small place and in a middle of nowhere. It didn't bother us, since we were on the full board plan and were doing the "tours" during the day. The place is amazing and people are friendly. Recommend the stay
Aug 21st, 2007, 07:53 AM

I have been to both places in the last month...

They are completely different, Cahal is on the edge of town and has a lot of young people there hanging by the pool partying. There is a disco just down the hill that thumps you to sleep at night. They have AC. It worked fine for a place to sleep but if that is all you want stay at Trekstop. If you want a more young social scene stay here.

duPlooy's is about 5 miles down a dirt road off the western highway 2 miles west of San Ignacio before Benque. It is quiet and peaceful, the rooms are a bit warm without AC but a cool shower before bed and all the fans going made it pleasant. Lots of birds, river access, good food and drink, and hardly saw the other guests. This is their SLOW time so you can haggle some good discounts on the rooms, ask for the owner if you call (her name escapes me but is on the website). The other guests I visited with all took their tours and loved the guides, it is slow season, for most tours they will work with you because if the guide does not go out he does not make any money. I had a suv and have been several times so I did my own trips. I do recommend spending an evening in San Ignacio, I am not sure what the Taxi will cost, the hotel will charge a lot to drop you off in town but you might be able to get one of the guides to drop you on his way home. Try the Raviolli Company across from The Belize Bank ATM on a side street!

Search this Thread