Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Dulce de Leche !!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/dulce-de-leche-457565/)

kodi Dec 3rd, 2008 05:11 PM

Dulce de Leche !!!

Ok, so this isn't exactly travel related, but I had to share this with everyone.

I went to get my hair cut today, and my hairdresser had a gift for me.
She gave me a jar of Dulce de Leche !! I was so surprised and very very happy.
I have no idea where she got it, but it is definately from Argentina.

She made my day.

yestravel Dec 3rd, 2008 06:03 PM

No fair -- I'm jealous!

milltown Dec 4th, 2008 03:56 AM

Yestravel,
Here is a link to an Argentine store in Rockville that has all brands of dulce de leche.
http://www.elpatiointernational.com/...tos_otros.html
Enjoy!

yestravel Dec 4th, 2008 04:55 AM

Milltown -- wow, pratically right in my own backyard -- thanks!

Kodi - I hope you're enjoying your dulce de leche. Someone on Trip Advisor gave a great recipe using it and now that I have a local source I may give it a try
Take a sheet of Puff Pastry -
Mash some Banana to a thick paste type consistency, add about a tablespoon of Dulce De Lleche to the mixture. Place a blob of the mixture on the pastry and fold into an empanada shape, place on greased tray, brush with some milk, bake for 25 minutes, let cool, dust with icing sugar, place on plate with a dollop of Dulce De Lleche on the side and a scoop of Vanilla Ice-cream, and a sprig of mint and presto...
WDYT - about 5,000 calories per serving???

SusanInToronto Dec 4th, 2008 05:02 AM

Cajeta is the Mexican version of dulce de leche. We buy it at a Mexican store in Toronto, so we always have it on hand.

Actually President's Choice now has a dulce de leche - haven't tried it, but that would be available to most Canadians. Not sure about Americans.

skatedancer Dec 4th, 2008 05:11 AM

thanks for this recipe! we are heading to argentina in less than three weeks!! woot woot. Definitely going to bring back some and make this recipe for DS who loves desserts with bananas!

yestravel Dec 4th, 2008 05:44 AM

skatedancer -- lucky u! We just got back from our 2nd trip and it was great. Did u do the NW Arg once? I think you are one of the people who's trip reports I read or maybe answered some questions for me.

avrooster Dec 4th, 2008 05:44 AM

If this isn't travel-related, what is? LOL!!!!

My favorite brand is San Ignacio Light. It makes me feel less guilty. LOL!!

yestravel Dec 4th, 2008 06:13 AM

U know, I was tempted to try the light dulce de leche ice cream, but figured why bother??? Having it in Arg was such a treat for me, so I went with the full fat deal.

Bea01 Dec 4th, 2008 07:37 AM

For those who like bananas and dulce de leche, donīt bother with any recipe. Just slice a banana and top it with dulce de leche. Itīs one of the most pospular Argentine desserts.

skatedancer Dec 4th, 2008 12:14 PM

yestravel, yes, i did go to the NW and wrote a trip report. Glad you went there, too.

Last trip was for our anniversary and was without kids, but this time we are taking our teens to BA and to the Lakes District.

yestravel Dec 4th, 2008 12:49 PM

Well, that should make for a different trip. Bet your kids love BA. I've only heard good things about the Lake District. It's on my list to get to. Enjoy!

kodi Dec 4th, 2008 06:23 PM

Yes, thanks for the recipe. with banana sounds great.
But I'm really a little piggy and eat it right out of the jar.. shhh, don't tell anyone.

Susan thanks for the info. I'm trying not to remember where I might be able to get it... far too tempting!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves it.. I have not heard of 'lite' but agree, why bother.. go for the good stuff!!

Scarlett Dec 5th, 2008 11:21 AM

kodi, read the discussion that started on dls trip report... on TripAdvisor .... about banana and dulce de leche empanadas... with or without peanut butter lol.

http://tinyurl.com/57qbbr

kodi Dec 5th, 2008 12:49 PM

Thanks Scarlett. Oh what a thread!
I really think it could be new food group. Especially with the banana's ( fruit group ) and the peanut butter ( protein).

And I'm trying to feel slim to wear a new dress to a party tomorrow night!!

avrooster Dec 5th, 2008 12:59 PM

Kodi: the San Ignacio "light" dulce de leche I mentioned is pretty good. It's simply made with partially skimmed milk, that's why they call it "light".

kodi Dec 5th, 2008 06:37 PM

So, are you saying I could eat tons of it and not feel guilty?? Don't get me started!!!

avrooster Dec 6th, 2008 01:32 AM

Well, how about "less guilty"? LOL

irecommend Dec 6th, 2008 09:35 AM

Ive seen it at Great Canadian Superstore too kodi, Presidents Choice brand. Have you tried that?

Have fun at the party

flintstones Dec 6th, 2008 10:51 AM

Kody, it is good with bananas, with fruit salads, in cakes, in alfajores, with bread, with cookies, with icecream, with some cheese, with merengue, with anything you want to accompany the dulce de leche...
Wamr regards,
Flintstones,