Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   driving vs. bus (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/driving-vs-bus-439922/)

jdla Jun 7th, 2004 08:42 AM

driving vs. bus

We (2 adults & 2 15 yr. old teens) are thinking about spending 5-7 nights in Puerto Vallarta and then flying to Mexico City where we would pick up a car and drive to Oaxaca for 4-5 nights, then drive through Puebla (1 night) to San Miguel de Allende for 3-4 nights... in July. We are reading many comments about how good the buses are, but we love the flexibility of driving so that we can make stops where & when we want to.. to explore. We've driven in Italy and Costa Rica and had good experiences. Is this a good idea in Mexico?

jdla Jun 7th, 2004 06:04 PM

Bump up for the evening posters...

thanks

Carolred Jun 7th, 2004 11:22 PM

We flew from PV to MC last Feb and what a good strategy! 15 hours bus or driving turns into 2 hours flying!

We did not drive in Mexico due to the numerous warnings about highway robbery etc. If you can get a first class bus for this trip, it is well worth it. Mexico has the best first class buses of anywhere in the world: There are three seats per row, and seats recline fully... the space is better than first class on many planes! We had two movies between Guadalajara and PV, plus a box lunch, naps, and non-stop. OK, bus washrooms suck, but we paid 1/6 the cost of flying, and no driving stress.

Having someone drive for you is less stressful, esp on moutain roads. But if you see something on the side of the road to stop for, well you are out of luck.

mikemo Jun 8th, 2004 05:23 AM

I would agree with Carolred re: the bus services.
I would not drive after dark, nor in MXCity, but otherwise I have never had problems. The tollroads are fast and very safe, but often the local roads are more enjoyable. As I have driven lots in the Alps, the MX mountains are not terribly daunting.
With four people, time , cost and convenience are your obvious issues.
We typically use rental cars when we have lots of day trips during a single visit, first class busses for a single longer excursion, and van/suv airport shuttles from BJX (Leon/Gto.) to San Miguel de Allende (my MX home) when we don't have any local travel plans.
Primera Plus and ETN are good bus lines in Central MX, but ETN's web site has been down for quite a few days.
Sounds like a fun trip and enjoy SMdA - the weather there should be wonderful in July!

mikemo Jun 8th, 2004 05:24 AM

I would agree with Carolred re: the bus services.
I would not drive after dark, nor in MXCity, but otherwise I have never had problems. The tollroads are fast and very safe, but often the local roads are more enjoyable. As I have driven lots in the Alps, the MX mountains are not terribly daunting.
With four people, time , cost and convenience are your obvious issues.
We typically use rental cars when we have lots of day trips during a single visit, first class busses for a single longer excursion, and van/suv airport shuttles from BJX (Leon/Gto.) to San Miguel de Allende (my MX home) when we don't have any local travel plans.
Primera Plus and ETN are good bus lines in Central MX, but ETN's web site has been down for quite a few days.
Sounds like a fun trip and enjoy SMdA - the weather there should be wonderful in July!
M

MMSF Jun 17th, 2004 12:40 PM

Driving in Mexico is no problem. Just don't drive after dark, because cattles don't carry head lights and that's the biggest danger, not banditos. Driving in Mexico City is just not a good idea, so once you pick up the car, get out as soon as possible. Mexicans behind wheels develop death wish, so drive defensively. Don't stop in the center of the road to make left turn. You pull over to the side and wait. As long as you drive defensively, driving in Mexico is no problem. Enjoy.