COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Driving to South America

Old Oct 12th, 1997, 05:05 AM
Aaron

Driving to South America

Our family is considering a trek south, possibly as far as Chile or Tierra del Fuego. We have some experience driving in foreign countries (including 10 days in Morocco by car) and we are planning for travel in the summer of 2001. One idea is to abandon the car at the end of the trip and fly home. How realistic is this idea?

Old Oct 12th, 1997, 03:10 PM
Guimaraes, Jose Ricardo

That's a great idea. I'm also planning the same trip. The diference is that maybe it's easier for me because a live at the brazilian southest state. I know there are a lot of very hard routes down angentina's south. On the other hand, that's one of the beaultifuller places in the world. Sauvage, small towns, thinks like that. You should be prepared to very large distances, no emergency facilities, comunications problems if you dont speak spanish.

Old Oct 12th, 1997, 07:06 PM
Ronald

Check on your responsibility for the payment of import duties on the car before you try this. There are probably controls to insure you drive out of the country in the same vehicle. Why abandon it? Sell it, if it is legal.

Old Oct 26th, 1997, 07:16 PM
Aaron

Abandon was not correct. I meant to sell the car. But what problems might we encounter trying to sell the car in Chile or Brazil? Is this a problem?

Old Oct 27th, 1997, 07:51 PM
Logan Holman

I just found a good URL for you that has all the info you need for such a trip. It is:

http://www.samexplo.org/driving.htm Check it out.

Good luck!

lsh

Old Oct 29th, 1997, 01:13 PM
Ronald

If you import a car then sell it you would be responsible for paying import duties. If you did not this is smuggling. When selling a car there one must provide transfer of registration to the buyer. To register a car one has to document that it was imported legally including payment of duty etc. i don't think it's practical because you will also need a cash buyer and you might have to wait some time. Finally you will need us dollars. You might also run into visa problems as a tourist but maybe not. There may be taxes on the sale transaction which you would have to pay. i see nothing but problems and complications ahead.

Old Nov 5th, 1997, 12:16 PM
Cicero

My wife and I will start our own trip overland by the end of this month, from Seattle to São Paulo, Brazil.
You realize you will have to ship your car from Panama to Colombia, since there is no road linking both countries (or from Miami to Caracas, if you want to skip Central America).
As for selling a used foreign car in South America, there are only two countries where it is legal to do so: Paraguay and Bolivia. We are planning to sell ours in Paraguay.

Old Nov 8th, 1997, 04:39 AM
Aaron

Logan Holman provided a reference to the South American Explorers' Club above, and from the sound of it, you have read the info at this address. But just in case, I will provide this link for you on selling your car in Paraguay (as this link suggests): http://www.samexplo.org/carsell.htm. The SAEC is clearly the ultimate resource for this kind of trip. By the way, does anyone know if there is any chance that ferry service (which from reports sounded great) will resume from Panama to Colombia will resume?