driving to samara and monteverde

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a driving question - i'm renting an suv from san jose airport in february. can i make it from samara to monteverde in a couple of hours, so i can see some of the forest in the afternoon? also, can i make a noon flight out of san jose if i leave monteverde at dawn?
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 07:14 PM

Rule of thumb for driving in CR, it takes the better part of a day to go just about anywhere. Don't drive at night if you can avoid it.
The best time of he day for MV is in the morning, that is when the animals are most active.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 08:02 PM

Otterguy pretty much said it all. It would take you about 4 hours, if not more, to drive from Samara to Monteverde. Monteverde isn't much of a day trip for this reason--from anywhere.

As to your other question, I understand 3.5 hrs. is a reasonable amount of time for most people to get from Monteverde to the airport. Dawn is around 5:30, so you should be able to make it just fine, barring something blocking the highway for some reason or another--not such a rare occurence!
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the help! we won't be doing MV in a day - we're planning on getting there on saturday afternoon and leaving on monday morning to catch our flight. any advice on the best ways to spend a morning and two afternoons in the cloudforest?
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 03:25 PM

Sorry I misunderstood!
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 06:39 PM

Hi
Sorry I misunderstood also. A few years ago you could get a private guide for the same price as a group, makes for much better tour. If this is still available it would be my choice.
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 08:51 AM

Two different cloud forest reserves to visit as well as Selvatura. A couple of canopy tours are available-both zip and walking. There was also a gondola type but don't know if it is still there. The Butterfly farm is one of my favorite places and it starts out looking at some beetles that have been collected and preserved. Pretty interesting. There is an Orchid garden, The Frog Pond, a Serpentarium. Several artisan shops between Santa Elena and Monteverde. Hiking in Finca Ecologica is good and there is a waterfall you can hike to. There are night hikes.

I think you will find plenty to do in the short time you will be there.
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 09:46 AM

I would like to add, don't forget about the possiblity of fog or low cloud cover. We left Arenal a couple years back, early in the morning and the visiblity was terrible. I would think this could be the same experience from Monteverde, anyway keep it in mind.

And I may be the only one that craves the Monteverde coffee. But if you love coffee, pick up some there behind the co-op. I never have been able to decide if the coffee was that great, or if the trip to get it made it so wonderful!