COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

driving safety in CR

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Clara

driving safety in CR

I just read in 2 different guide books that Costa Rica is one of the worst places in the world for driving. It mentioned that there are 18 deaths per 100,000 km's driven, as oppose to an average of 2 in the U.S. I'm sorry about this negative posting, but does anyone have any comments on this, as this definitely seems like a concern.

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 08:09 AM
Marty

We read the same thing before our 10 days in CR in '99. We had no trouble...we rented a jeep and drove all over the country. The one thing to be very aware of is that CR is a mountainous nation, and the mountain roads are usually in very poor shape.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 05:09 AM
nina

Some of

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 06:11 AM
Ally

I can certainly understand this. My husband scares me everytime we go to Costa Rica. He hates getting behind slow moving vehicles and there are lots of them. Don't try to pass on the mountian roads (as he does). You're on vacation. I know you want to get to your destination, but it's not worth the risk. If only my husband would listen...I've just decided that next time we go, I'LL do the driving!

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 08:54 AM
ALF

We have driven through CR several times without any problems, but there certainly are some concerns. As noted above, there are many very twisty narrow roads that climb up and descend down mountains. Too many Ticos drive like they are insane, passing slow-moving trucks on blind curves in the fog, at night, etc. Most of those deaths are head-on collisions while passing in a dangerous place. You must drive very defensively and patiently. You WILL get stuck behind an ancient truck crawling up a road at 40 kph, but you just have to live with the fact that it takes a lot of time to get somewhere.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 05:47 PM
Tamara

We spend a lot of time on the road in Costa Rica as we publish a road map & tourist guide to the country. The statistics that you´re quoting do not have much to do with tourists, so I don´t think you have to worry about it...Many locals are not good drivers, & take stupid risks, but most of the tourists I see driving along are taking it slowly & patiently, & will not have any problems: if you get stuck behind a truck, be patient, don´t overtake on blind corners, drive defensively, leave a decent stopping distance between you & the car in front, & you´ll be fine. However, I would recommend for all tourists to drive during daylight hours as the roads are not well-signposted or lit for night-driving.
PS. if you want good road maps of Costa Rica visit the web-site version of our Map-guide www.costaricamapguide.com

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 05:12 AM
Clara

I really appreciate all of your responses. You've definitely eased my nerves.

Thanks!