Search

driving routes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
driving routes

I am planning on visiting CR in just about 2 months. We will be driving from San Jose to Arenal, then from Arenal to Manuel Antonio. Would like to see some sights along the way, never been to CR, or even outside the US (ok Mexico, but to us here in So cal, it is not a foreign country) Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!~in advance
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:46 PM

A few different ways to drive from San Jose to Arenal. An okay map with limited description is here: http://www.arenal.net/map-to-arenal.htm

If you can leave San Jose early in the morning (by 7:30am), consider taking on what that map is described as the "purple" routing, that has a side trip drive up to the summit of Volcan Poas. Poas just reopened on a limited basis after having some rumbling 10 days ago, so check on the status, but assuming everything is open it's a pretty incredible place if you're there before the volcano clouds up (by 10am is usually safe, but in the rainy season who knows...). Continuing on, you can also stop at the privately-owned La Paz Waterfalls attraction.

If the Volcano isn't looking good, consider going via the towns of Grecia, Sarchi, Naranjo, and Zarcero
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 02:02 PM

continuing after i cut myself off...

Sarchi is a handicrafts center, and the other places are pretty to stop in.

Driving from Arenal to Manuel Antonio, many people stop on the Tarcoles River Bridge (on the road between Orotina and Jaco) to see the crocodiles hanging out below.

Instead of coming down to Manuel Antonio via San Ramon, you can also make a little detour and take the route via Sarchi (you still go over the Tarcoles Bridge, though).

Oh, and one more thing. I hate to end on a cautionary note, but given your caveat about not having traveled much, you have heard that roads in Costa Rica can be in pretty poor condition, right? Between San Jose and Arenal, and then Arenal and Manuel Antonio shouldn't be too bad, but things do tend to deteriorate in the rainy season... It's quite easy to travel SJ/Arenal, Arenal/MA via tourist shuttle, private taxi transfer, and even bus if you so desire. Not trying to scare you off, but I just thought I'd throw that out there.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 04:11 AM

Buy a map - we had the Berndtson laminated map and it worked very well. There are not a lot of roads, so you only usually have one or two options to get between places.

SJ to Arenal is easy to drive, even without any street signs.

We went the Poas/La Paz route, and even though Poas was closed when we were there, we really enjoyed La Paz Waterfalls.

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the cautionary note- however my boyfriend insists on being the adventure guide having been to Europe and the such and rent a car. We shall see!