Driving Questions: Routes, Tolls...etc

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking at some rough maps of Costa Rica. I still need to make my way to B&N to buy a more detailed map. In any case, we are going from San Jose to Arenal and then from Arenal to La Paz (Peace Lodge). I think from Arenal to La Paz there's just one way to go. But it seems that from San Jose to Arenal there may be a couple of routes. Do you recommend any route in particular? I know we can ask the car rental agency, but I don't want to led the wrong way, when another way my have been better.

Also, I keep hearing about tolls. Do you know if I'll encounter tolls on my routes? If so, how much are these tolls usually? Do I have to pay in Colones? How much cash do you reccomend we carry for the tolls?

We aren't doing extensive driving. Do you think we'll be fine with the maps from the car rental place, or should we purchase our own.

Thanks!
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 03:57 PM

We made the drive from Hotel Bouganvillea (highly recommend) to areanal and then from arenal to Quepos and ultimately Quepos back to the hotel bougainvillea. Roads were for the most part excellent and in a few cases like the back streets of a big city-- potholes and rough conditions. No big deal getting around. From SJ there are a couple of routes-- we went up from Narrange or something like that through Zuccero- where there is a lovely church and small park. The roads wind back and forth through the mountains and you can run into dense fog at times- the good news is that traffic moves pretty slowly so the danger is reduced considerably. It was not a white knuckle experience for me. Directions are tough around SJ but in the country there are not many roads to choose from so you don't get lost easily-- just watch when you are going through major towns as road signs are frequently poor. You will have a blast-- just take your time cause there is a ton of beauty around. One more tip- i got the car delivered at the hotel instead of renting at the airport and fighting my way out and really liked doing so. Check it out i didn't pay a premium to get the car at the hotel and drop it at the hotel!
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 05:01 PM
hopabout

Dear Mosey,
From San Jose to La Paz, I enjoy going to the town of Alajuela, where the airport is and going up the mountains by way of the courthouse. Everyone will know where it is, even the car rental place. This route is very pretty with nice overlooks of the valley. Yes, from La Paz to La Fortuna is one road, go out of the gardens, turn left and follow the signs to La Fortuna. You will pass places like Agua Zarcas. At a place called Muelle there is a gas station. If you take a right at the gas station and go just a couple of miles, you come upon a little bridge. Stop! The restaurant beside the bridge has nice snacks and lunch even, and HUGE iguanas all over the place at the river. Sometimes they come into the restaurant. At that same gas station as before, go straight and you head for El Tanke then follow the signs to La Fortuna. Tiny towns, easy to ask... where is La Fortuna. Or just Arenal.

If you are in Arenal and want to come back to San Jose you can do this route or you might choose a route from La Fortuna to a town called San Ramon. Then, onto the highway to San Jose past the airport. This is the route taken by most of the tourist buses. Easy driving low mountains.

HOP

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 06:30 PM

For sure, plan to take a route that puts you in Zarcero for the pretty church and topiary.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:44 AM

I'm not sure where you heard about tolls in CR but I'm trying to "picture" this route in my mind and don't recall any tolls. There are a few toll roads in San Jose (100 colones) nothing extreme and not on your route. We encountered a voluntary-toll enroute to Arenal last year. It appeared that the local folks constructed a toll booth and asked for "contributions" to the new bridge and road. Quite funny! Other than that, I'm not even sure you'll encounter a street light except in Alajeula!

Lisa in Manuel Antonio
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 10:45 AM

There's a toll plaza on the highway just before you get to the airport and Alajuela, for outbound traffic only. The toll is 100 colones (about 20 cents U.S.) I can't believe they take dollars, but who knows? There's another one just east of Naranjo, but for eastbound traffic only (traffic heading into San Jose). Same amount, if I remember right.