Driving Patzcuaro to Barra de Navidad

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2006, 02:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A certain popular but often unreliable guidebook [hint: favored by backpackers the world over] tells me that you can drive overland from Patzcuaro to Barra de Navidad in about 7 hours. The road cuts west from Uruapan, and then down from Colima.

This book has led me wrong before.

We don't have time to do the drive Patz-Playa Azul and then up the Michoacan Coast, unless we spend half our trip driving.

Has anyone done this drive? Any impressions?
Old May 15th, 2006, 08:25 AM

I have driven from SMdA to Patzcuaro 11/'05, and SMdA to Barra de Navidad 12/'05 via GDL (actually stayed overnight at friends' Hacienda in Ajijic).
You can do the local roads, but, 'tho it sounds nuts, I would consider heading back to Morelia and N to MX 15 (Cuota/Autopista) to GDL and then S on MX 54 to Colima, on to Manzanillo and Barra de Navidad on the Cuotas.
Others say that MX 80 coming down to the coast from GDL is OK and about the same times.
The road from Manzanillo to Barra was completely torn up in Dec and had I known that I would have taken MX 80.
The local road from Uruapan to Colima looks challenging, lol.
Huge drives regardless, and the tolls are expensive.
Buen viaje.
M
Old May 19th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I think we might have to give up on seeing inland Michoacan, and instead we'll bus from Guadalajara to barra de Navidad, and from there to Puerto Vallarta. That gives us four nights in Guadalajara, and three each in Barra and PV.

I really wanted to see the mountains, but it sounds like we'd spend too much time driving around and rushing town to town.
Old May 19th, 2006, 02:18 PM

I would urge you to stay a night in Colima on your way to Barra. A most wonderful colonial city.
Old May 19th, 2006, 04:20 PM

We should have, but did not, but I'll follow Sb's advice in the future. Thanks, Sb.
Do you have some great, but moderate/less than expensive $ restaurant and Hot. recs?
M (SMdA, Gto.)
PS: If/when you get a chance to spend a night or two in our special place, you are welcome to stay here if our many children and grandchildren are absent.