Driving in the Yucatan

Old Feb 10th, 1998, 08:17 PM
Jon

Driving in the Yucatan

Staying in the Playa de Carmen area in March. Is renting a car and driving as big a problem as some make it out to be? I'm aware of insurance requirements and am a good driver. Also would anyone recommend renting a convertible VW bug?

Old Feb 11th, 1998, 02:57 AM
K.

You need to rent a car so you can see all the things around close to Playa. Don't leave anything in the car and don't drive at night other than that it shouldn't be a problem. The roads are good and well marked.

Old Feb 13th, 1998, 08:07 AM
Angie

We've rented a VW bug both times we were in Cancun and it allowed us to see the best part, the Tulum corridor. We followed some signs on dirt roads to beautiful deserted beaches with family run palapas and snorkeling rentals. Don't know if they are still that way, the developers are moving in fast. We had no problems driving, only did day trips, we did not drive at night. The army did have a checkpoint at Playa del Carmen but waved us right through. P.S. we speak only a few words of Spanish everyone we met spoke English well. How embarrasing that Americans can't learn more languages!

Old Feb 15th, 1998, 05:33 PM
Everett

We rented the "car from hell" in Cozumel. It was a VW " thing" and it cost us about $50 US per day. It had no horn and only one weak windshield wiper. One headlight, I think, and questionable breaks. The hand break was no question, it didn't work. Advice-check everything.
We have rented in Matazatlan and in other Mexican locations with no problem-Just check first andexpect to pay more than in the US.

Old Feb 16th, 1998, 04:46 PM
Fran

What is your experience renting a car in Mazatlan. Did you reserve it from the US or rent it there. I have heard it is cheaper to rent from the US but it is possible to find a local rental that is inexpensive.

Old Feb 27th, 1998, 01:48 PM
Chris

I rented a car in Playa Del Carmen, which I would recommend since you get to drive down the coast and see all the beaches and sites on your own. However, rent one from a car rental near the bus station. I reserved a VW bug (pretty much all they have) from a tourist stand on the main street. Needless to say the car was not ready when I wanted and they just ended up sending someone across town to get one from Avis. The car was a piece of crap, but it got me where I wanted to go. As posted before, don't drive at night and beware of Mexico's many unmarked speed bumps, especially on the road to Coba!