Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Driving in Chile (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/driving-in-chile-727604/)

concorde Aug 9th, 2007 11:18 AM

Driving in Chile

Has anyone ever driven from Santiago, Chile to the Colchagua Valley?

Huentetu Aug 9th, 2007 11:56 AM

Yes, but I am local. Do you want a visitor's point of view?

helenoftroy Aug 9th, 2007 02:55 PM

Why are you asking?
I have driven that road too! but as Huentetu I am native from Chile.

What do you wanna know exactly? Maybe we can help you.

dandj Aug 14th, 2007 01:03 PM

IS IT POSSIBLE TO RENT A CAR AND DRIVE FROM ECUADOR TO PERU THEN TO CHILE?

IS IT SAFE TO DRIVE IN CHILE? ARE THE ROADS MAINTAINED?

WHAT SHOULD AN AMERICAN EXPECT?

helenoftroy Aug 14th, 2007 01:16 PM

First question don't know...
Second one... of course it is safe and the roads are good...shouldn't have problems w/ that.
Third... ?? you should be careful reading the road signs...

dandj Aug 14th, 2007 08:57 PM

sounds like a good road map is in order.

can you suggest a good one?

Huentetu Aug 15th, 2007 03:45 AM

1. You will not be able to rent a car in Ecuador to drive to both Perú and Chile.
2. Main highways in Chile are world standard.
3.I don't understand the third question.

Go to 'mapas ruteros' on www.turistel.cl

salthegal Oct 20th, 2007 06:23 AM

I need some local knowledge- thankyou! Can you tell me whether we can take a hire car (Hertz) from Temuco to Bariloche.
Many thanks. Sally

toid Oct 22nd, 2007 06:13 PM

It is difficult to take a rental car from Chile to Argentina due to Argentinean regulations. Many rental companies will not rent a car to be taken to Argentina, but some do. You will have to ask.

CollegeMom Nov 28th, 2007 06:36 PM

It has been several years since we rented a car and drove from Santiago to Concepcion and then back to Santiago to Valpariaso and Vina Del Mar. Obviously traffic in Santiago was hectic much like other large cities, but the roads to Concepcion and Vina Del Mar were good. We also drove into the Andes with I think 40 hairpin turns on the route to Argentina border, but the views were fantastic. Discovered the very best cherries at a stop enroute to Concepcion. With a rental car, you have the opportunity to stop when ever you wish which has many advantages over organized tours. We always felt safe driving in Chile which is not always the case in parts of US.

sebti Dec 6th, 2007 12:54 AM

We recently drove from Santiago down to Chiloe and back. While the Pan-Americano (Ruta 5) is of decent standard, if not a little expensive to travel on, we were surprised at how many roads were gravel (ripio) once you got off the main highway. We have more paved roads in Morocco! Driving was a piece of cake, the only problem was all the dust on the smaller non paved roads.

In answer to dandj's question, I think an American can expect what any other foreigner visiting Chile can expect: Beautiful scenery, delicious food, excellent wine, and friendly people!

dandj Dec 6th, 2007 01:43 PM

sebti,
thanks, this really wets my travel appetite for Chile...