Driving from Siquirres to Quepos

Apr 16th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Driving from Siquirres to Quepos

Does anyone know what route is the best/fastest between these to cities. It looks like there are a few choices.

Do we go through San Jose....how long is this?

Do we go through Turrialba, Cartago, and San Isidro de El General and Dominical...

Does anyone know of any place that has driving directions in Costa Rica as well as the times.

Thanks once again.
Apr 16th, 2005, 08:51 PM

Danny, Siquirres to Quepos should take about 5 hours (more or less), if you drive non stop. You'll make better time by heading back into San Jose. I'm sure there is a way to bypass the busy-ness of the city itself, but I don't know it. I am not familiar with all those outer city limit roads--especially north of the city where there are so many towns and dozens (seemingly) of highways.

For me, I have to just drive into town to a place on the north side where I "have my bearings", then drive out of town on Avenida 9--takes you right out, but you have to know a couple of things about it! Once I come to all the car dealerships, I know I'm okay! That's my method, but it wouldn't necessarily work for you. Someone will be able to help you, though.

From San Jose, it's about 3 hours to Quepos.

We've taken the Siquirres to Turrialba, Cartago road before--just to explore that area on the way back to San Jose. I just don't think you can gain time that way because of the difficulty of the road from Dominical to Quepos. Also, because your timing would more than likely put you between Cartago and San Isidro later in the day (after noon) when it gets fogged in.

Don't know about driving directions or times. Get yourself a Berndston & Berndston map. It's an excellent resource for driving around the country. Barnes & Noble should have it for you. Times are just going to be slow no matter what--and they are ALWAYS approximate. If we know our drive should take us about 5, we plan on at least 6. Always seems to work out that way! We've acquired a lot of patience driving ourselves around CR!
Apr 17th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Shillmac

I think we will stay in Cartago or thereabouts and take Rt 2; Cerro de la Muerte, so we're on it in the morning. The road sounds exciting and now we will get to see more of the country. We will drive to Rafiki Lodge coming through Dominical.

Two and a half months to go....can't wait.
Apr 17th, 2005, 06:49 PM

For sure, that is a great way to see some "out of the way" places. Guaybo Monumento Nacional near Turrialba is interesting. And the Orosi Valley down in that same area breathtaking. Have a wonderful time!

I'm not sure if it would cost you too much morning drive time or not, but Casa Turire near Turrialba would be a great place to overnight if you are looking for something more upscale in that area. It is probably an hour and a half from Cartago.

Search this Thread