Notices

Driving from San Jose to Quepos

Old Mar 26th, 2003, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving from San Jose to Quepos

My friends and I were considering renting a car and driving from San Jose to Quepos. Does anyone not recommend this? And - Are there driving maps available online?
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 10:34 AM

San Jose to Quepos is an easy 3-4 hour drive. The maps that come with the rental will probably be good enough. Roads are poorly marked though, makes things a bit of a challenge. As far as roads in Costa Rica go, this one isn't too bad. Although you really won't need a car in Quepos, the buses run frequently between town and Manual Antonio, and they're really cheap.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Now we have decided not to get a rental car. We are thinking of hiring someone to drive us instead. Any suggestions? Are there legitimate car services that would drive us?
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 12:24 PM

Do you speak Spanish? I just got back yesterday and since I spoke the language I was able to negotiate down to $90 for the taxi ride from SJ airport to Quepos. Many other taxi drivers were offering to take me for $110. There will be many drivers asking to take you (and following you around) but they aren't the "official" taxis. Our taxi driver had us to our hotel in 2.5 hours.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 12:53 PM

In addition to poorly marked roads, there's also the challenge of dodging potholes when driving in CR. Overall I'd say it's well worth the convenience of having your own transportation.

If you're not planning on travelling around alot, what about flying from SJ to Quepos? It was an easy 40-min (?) flight. Flew back to SJ from Quepos on Sansa > www.flysansa.com. Or there's the other intra-airline called NatureAir.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 01:39 PM

We were in Quepos last January. There are potholes on the road that are big enough to swallow small cars. We, too, flew from San Jose to Quepos. That was a terrific experience even though it took a bit to get used to the feeling. We rented a small car in Quepos and had a great time. Recommend if you go up the hill to Manuel Antonio in a small car, to turn off the air conditioning - the car will need all the oomph it can to get up the hill and around the corners! We had a great time there.