Driving from San Diego to Mexico City

Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving from San Diego to Mexico City

Since airfare costs more than I want to pay I'd like to know if it's safe to drive from San Diego to Mexico City and Acapulco. I know that driving at night is not recommended. So I'd like to know if it's safe for a single woman that has never been to Mexico to be driving. I understand and can speak a little Spanish.

A roundtrip from Honolulu to Mexico City is more than a roundtrip from Honolulu to Rome so I'd rather fly to San Diego and drive down.
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 09:16 PM

If you are not familiar with Mexico, IMHO, this might be a little dicey for a first time trip. My first few times I would not have wanted to attempt the drive you mention. I suppose it depends on the person, but if your Spanish isn't good, you don't have a handle on Mexican rules of the road, some experience with the culture, don't understand what will happen under Nepolianic law if you have an accident, and you don't know your way around the "mordida," bribe system for traffic (real or imagined traffic offenses) by mexican police it might be difficult. Also, driving in Mexico City with 20+ million other folks is quite exciting. Plus, if you are talking about renting a car to go through Mexico it will cost you quite a bit more than you would pay in the u.s and eat up any savings on airfare you might anticipate. What you propose now, I would do after years of travel to Mexico and being fluent in Spanish. I'm not sure about a first time. Others might disagree. Anyway, I would sugest that once you get to San Diego that you check for cheap fares to Mexico City. Sometimes you can find fares like $199.00 round trip. You could aslo go to Tijuana on the border and see what kind of fares they were offering via Aeromexico, Mexicana, Aerocalifornia, etc. If you have plenty of time, another option would be a first class bus from Tijauana to Mexico City. It will take a while, you might have to make a few changes, but it is a good way to get around Mexico. Once you get to Mexico City there are very nice direct buses to Aculpulco from the Southern bus terminal, Tasquena. Personally, while in mexio City I would rather use the metro than try to drive around, although you should be very saftey conscious while doing so.
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 03:35 PM

Many years ago when I resided in San Diego my friend and I went to Mexico City on a bus. It left from T.J. It was very economical. Personally I would not do this a lone if I were you. I would look into other options.
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 04:45 PM

I have to agree. While Mexico City and surrounding cities are some of my favorite places, I could not picture myself driving alone for hours in unfamiliar territory. What if you had car trouble, or just "trouble". No one would really know exactly where you were and the cost of getting out of that would probably be more than the plane ticket would of been especially for time & hassle & safety. I do hope you have a wonderful time visiting Mexico no matter how you end up getting there !
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 03:05 PM

Definitely do not drive to Mexico City on your own. It is not the safest place to drive in even with more people. Also with the hight cost of gasoline and the hight cost of the toll roads, you will do much better flying. Look into flights from Tijuana to Mexico City. During this time of the year it is about $300 roundtrip. Have fun..
Old Nov 20th, 2011, 04:56 PM

I have a lot of experience driving from San Diego to Cabo, in fact I just returned from a trip there last week. We had a wonderful time. I'm not familiar with the road to Mexico City, although I am also thinking about a drive there as well.

I think the gentleman's advice to fly from Tijuana is excellent. I have flown on Volaris many times and have always had a good experience. Make sure however that you do not arrive later than 90 minutes before the flight leaves. You must pay $20 for your tourist visa at the airport and that can slow you down. Volaris can cancel your ticket if you do not check in at least an hour before the flight!
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 12:12 PM

Yes I would fly out of Tijuana as well. I would never suggest being a single young American gringo and driving alone the vast distance from SD to Mexico City without being familiar with the country, the language and the laws.

If you feel you must go to Mexico City then I would definately take a bus.

The other option would be to visit/fly into another major city which might be cheaper like Gudalajara.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 08:47 PM

Take the bus,but once you figure food,over night lodging etc flying is still the cheapest.
Check Interjet & Volaris out of Tijuana.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 10:05 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Folks --this thread is from 2003!

Somehow Robert_Marcos dug it up when he registered?
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 04:10 AM

No car rental SD to MEX DF abig snafu

travel.state.gov Mexico for a heads up entry safety

Cheapest way to do this HNL LAX or SAN cheapoair.com

Cross to TJ cheap flight or directo bus to Mexico City.

www.go-[anamerican.com over to Nogales and down your

alternate route will not save much might be safer.
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 04:19 AM

TIJ airport is located parallel to the USA-Mexico border line, only a few miles east of downtown Tijuana and the San Ysidro International Border Crossing, and one mile west of Otay International Border Crossing. The airport is used as a transit point for travelers wishing to visit San Diego and L.A. as well.

Mexicoach bus from San Antonio to bus station on Revolucion
bestsafestway to cross deluxe directos are a long slog but
cheap have done them no bad.

www.go-panamerican.com if you want to go to Nogales and

bust straight down the Panamericana but more of a hassle.

Unless roatripping with a lot of time I would fly.
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 09:02 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
qwo - we know you don't read threads before or after you post. But just in case . . . check the OP's date