Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Driving from Monteverde to Samara (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/driving-from-monteverde-to-samara-671077/)

fisherking Jan 17th, 2007 07:35 AM

Driving from Monteverde to Samara

We will be driving from Monteverde to Samara in Costa Rica in April 2007. What should I expect in terms of the length of the drive and the condition of the roads?

Thanks

Naplo999 Jan 17th, 2007 07:48 AM

You can expect the roads to be the worst you've ever seen or driven on. Pot holes, bigger pot holes. Unpaved dirt roads with bumps and pot holes, wash outs etc. Just go slow. That is why it takes so long - b/c of the need to drive slow. Monteverde to Samara - I'm not entirely sure. I would think 5-6 hours.

fisherking Jan 17th, 2007 08:52 AM

Thanks for the info. I am hoping to find someone that actually drove that stretch. I know that the roads in CR tend to leave a lot to be desired.

Naplo999 Jan 17th, 2007 09:06 AM

I drove Monteverde to Tamarindo, and Tamarindo to Nosara - which is a bit north of Samara. Roads are very rough near Monteverde. Then you are on the Inter-American Hway, which is good. Over the Tempisque River bridge. After that the roads are fairly bad again. If the roads near Samara are like the ones near Nosara - they are terrible. I've driven in many other areas of CR as well and the roads are generally terrible.

Naplo999 Jan 17th, 2007 09:13 AM

I believe it was about 2-2 1/2 hours from Monteverde to the bridge, then another hour to Nicoya. From there I didn't do the drive to Samara - but I would think another 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Hope this helps.

guanacaste Jan 17th, 2007 09:31 AM

the last 30km are BAD, but definitely not the worst in CR!!

fisherking Jan 17th, 2007 11:57 AM

Thanks My Fellow Fodorinians,

All good info. We will just take our time along the way.

Adios

shillmac Jan 17th, 2007 02:27 PM

'bout 5 hours mas o menas. . .

gustash Mar 3rd, 2007 12:27 PM

We've just returned (Feb/07)and drove that route, except the other way - from Samara to Monteverde.
Samara to Nicoya one hour, good paved road , windy and slow.Nicoya to Las Junes (sp?) one hour good paved road , watch for radar.Las Junes to Monteverde two hours, very steep, loose rock, very bad road.We went up in a 2 wheel drive and it gave me new respect for the Toyota company.Take this portion slow and steady and no problems, coming down as you seem to be doing should be no problem at all.(If I ever did the trip again I would go with 4 wheel drive, there were 2 occassions I didn't think the Toyota would make it.The potholes and rocks you can drive around but the loose rock is a killer, you need the 4 wheels for traction).The road from monteverde to Tillaran is in much better condition, not nearly as steep and a lot more scenic.
I hate to say this but there's nothing at Monteverde, unless you have an interest in plants.It's the biggest con job put out.If you're going for the birding forget it, you can't see them - hear them yes, you may get a very brief glimpse, the foliage is so thick you can't see a thing.I asked other birders while I was there and all said the same thing.The guide books say to hire a guide and expect to see up to 40 species. No way!