Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Driving from Coba to Chichen Itza (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/driving-from-coba-to-chichen-itza-275828/)

carla Nov 25th, 2002 02:09 PM

Driving from Coba to Chichen Itza

We are planning on driving from Tulum to Coba, then on to Chichen Itza. I am told that it is about 45 mins from Tulum to Coba, but does anyone know how long it should take to drive from Coba to Chichen Itza? Thanks.

carka Nov 27th, 2002 10:22 PM

ttt

Nancy Nov 28th, 2002 04:42 AM

It is about 45 min. to an hour from Tulum to Coba, and my husband said he thinks it's about 1 1/2 hours to Chichen Itza from Coba.<BR>It's none of my business, but you're not thinking of going to all of those places via car in one day are you?<BR>

carla Nov 28th, 2002 11:09 AM

Nancy,<BR><BR>I can imagine what you are thinking, and you're right, we are not planning on doing on all that in a day. I really wanted to find out the time from Tulum to Chichen Itza via the route to Coba, but when I phrased the question like that earlier I didn't get any replies. Thank you for your response.<BR><BR>By the way, I found a website last night on Valladolid which said it is 30 minutes from Chichen Itza to Valladonlid, and 80 minutes from Valladolid to Tulum (so 110 minutes total) at &quot;maximum legal speeds&quot;. Since I doubt that is possible the entire way, your estimate of 135 minutes is probably right on. Thanks for the help.

Nancy Nov 28th, 2002 11:25 AM

Whew, Carla, you had me scared for a minute there :)<BR>I thought WOW, that is going to be one whirlwind ruin tour!!!<BR>All three of those ruins are completely different from each other and totally fascinating. We saw Tulum and Coba in one day on a tour, and wished we had spent more time at each, so went back to Tulum the next year.<BR>Any one of them can easily consume an entire day.<BR>Have fun!<BR><BR>

Carole Nov 30th, 2002 12:56 PM

Hi Carla,<BR><BR>I just had guests that drove from our villa in Tankah (3 miles north of Tulum ruins) to Chichen Itza last week and it took them 2 1/2 hours, using the Coba road. They left early in the morning and was back at Casa Tropical by about 8pm. They had a great time, and you are still able to climb El Castillo.<BR><BR>Make sure you fill up with gas at the station in Tulum.

carla Dec 1st, 2002 09:53 AM

Carole,<BR><BR>It's so great to get first hand information. That confirms my plan. I have one more question if you know the answer.<BR><BR>I see on the map that, passing Coba, there is a road that continues north past Punta Laguna and connets with the main highway between Cancun and Chichen Itze; or, one can head east toward Valladolid via Chomax. I heard that second road is not so great. Do you know which way your frieds went and if there is any signage? Thanks.<BR><BR>Happy Thanks giving.

carla Dec 1st, 2002 09:54 AM

Correction to above. End of first sentence should read &quot;or one can head WEST toward Valladolid...&quot;.

Carole Dec 1st, 2002 10:41 AM

Hi Carla,<BR><BR>They took the secondary road west from Chemax towards Valladolid and onto Chichen Itza. The quota is a toll road and pretty expensive. The secondary road is fine, just slow down at every town and watch out for the speed bumps (topes).

carla Dec 1st, 2002 09:41 PM

Great info Carole. Thanks again!

Brett Dec 4th, 2002 07:40 AM

Hi...just a comment. We had a 7 year old science nut when we went through this area. We did the drive from the coast to Chichen Itza, back to Coba, and through to Tulum in one day, and absolutely loved it. Mind you...it took the WHOLE day, and we got out of Tulum as they were locking the gate behind us. It really depends on who you have with you. Our boy was wildly excited by the ruins, and wanted badly to see them all, but after an hour or more in each site was ready to move to the next one.<BR><BR>So if you have kids and are comfortable doing cross country with them in Mexico, go for it. :)<BR><BR>Brett Taylor

Christy Jan 15th, 2003 06:43 PM

This is helpful information. Is it possible to take a bus directly from Tulum to Chichen Itza? If so, is there a web site with schedules? I thought the info-tulum.com would have that info but couldn't find it.<BR>Thanks, Christy