Driving from Arenal to Monteverde

May 26th, 2000, 06:53 AM
Angela

Driving from Arenal to Monteverde

Has anyone made the drive from Arenal to Monteverde? I know it is about 4 hours. We will be there in the rainy season and are wondering about the condition of the road.
Thanks!

May 26th, 2000, 08:13 AM
helen

A search of this forum should turn up numerous posts on this topic. I personally did the drive in the dry season, and the roads were terrible even then (probably worse than you can imagine, if you have not traveled in a third world country before, which I am NOT saying that CR is, just some of the roads). You DEFINITELY need 4 wheel drive if you plan to do this (also be sure to read any posts which allude to the care with which you need to inspect your rental for dings at pickup, since it will be inspected with equal care afterwards, and you will pay for any new damage). ...And it is about 4 hours, but well under 100 mi, I believe, to give you an idea of road condition.

May 26th, 2000, 10:03 AM
robin

Go to Monteverdeinfo.com -there is tons of information -including a note that states that the road from Tilarin (sp?) to Monteverde has been graded in March so is in better shape. Anyway the webmaster for this site is incredibly helpful so I'm sure he can give you up-to-date information.

Jun 12th, 2000, 07:22 PM
mark

we just did the trip w/a 4wd. no problems. it was a fun drive. we left early (approx. 7 am). pat close attention to the signs. it's tough to get out of tilaran and continue due to poor signs. have fun.

Jun 21st, 2000, 03:27 PM
Julie

we did the drive last month with a 4wd and it was beautiful. we never went over 10km/hr so it was slow going. there are a few signs now so it is likely better than it used to be. but ask questions. stop at toad hall for breakfast, about an hour past arenal.

Jun 27th, 2000, 05:39 AM
lorena aguilar

The roads are a little it rough for outsiders, but the trip is fantastic, mainly if you go around the lake. Sometimes you will even see "pisotes" ( like raccons) and if you stop you can even feed them. The signalization is not that good, but you can ask people for directions.

Search this Thread