Search

Driving alone Mexico & safety; versus Bus

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving alone Mexico & safety; versus Bus

Proposed trip: I'd like feedback.

I want to drive all over Mexico (other than avoiding driving inside of larger cities) in my pickup from the US. Need advice on the freedom of having own car versus doing buses to various locations. Never been to Mexico.

Is it safe enough to drive alone as long as I don't pull off in the middle of nowhere, etc. After some reading I'm really leaning toward the car and guessing it's just as safe as most of US.

Hope this doesn't get too long, but enough details for feedback on any of my proposed trip:

50 y.o. Male, and speak almost no Spanish; but couple years ago I drove with wife all over Costa Rica including some back routes, remote and dirt, without ever feeling uncomfortable.

I would have my vehicle down near border regardless. I am not flying. Primary destinations would be beaches, colonial cities, and quaint villages; for photography and arts/crafts and hiking and mtn.biking; and not a lot of nightlife. My own vehicle would no doubt allow me to see many more smaller villages or more remote beaches.

Lengthy trip beginning in Feb. of perhaps 6-8 weeks (or even more if I'm lucky!), with time to meander; from border south down either east or west coast, out onto Yucatan; and then perhaps back thru more interior after higher country has warmed up more.

No deadlines and car would allow to see far more off the beaten path places; whereas if Bussing it, I'd choose far fewer destinations, and not as far because that's a lot of long bus rides; and probably not even do as long a trip in Mex.

Safety issue of burglary: I will have to leave items in pickup at times; whereas with Bus I would just take a small backpack after leaving vehicle in secure place. I'm experienced with small-backpack-travel.

I do plan a visit in Mex.City but would hope to find a secure place to leave vehicle, gated hotel or RV camp or something; while I went to city by bus for 5-7 days. Does anyone know of such a secure parking place, within a few hours or less from Mex. City; maybe at a hotel you stayed at?

Pickup has a canopy on the back so I'll sometimes be sleeping in the back, with some gear along, and aiming for RV or Park camps or whatever. I've read of RV'ers doing drives like this.

I've read of a few such places to overnight camp, but anyone here point me to a good list?

Vehicle is a 90's Ford Ranger and 4wd very good for rough roads. But it's not nicely broken in and beat up and less conspicuous -- it's actually low mileage and fairly "mint" and then of course has the conspicuous bright foreign license plate.
One valuable item left at times inside vehicle: nearly new mountain bike.

So, freedom of car Versus going solo alone with just a small backpack???

Lastly, any comments on whether I'm aiming for too much; itinerary? I figure something roughly like: 3 weeks from border to Yucatan, 1 week Yucatan, 4 weeks back north to border including 5-7 days in Mex.City; so total of 8 weeks.

I do not mind driving thousands of miles alone: not ideal, but okay. This is a getaway from winter here and will love lots of time to sight-see and relax and sit reading in a warm breeze.

If you got this far, sorry for the length, but helping me to organize my thoughts. You may see shorter posts from me on specific details.

Thanks!, Jim
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 02:35 PM

First if you choose to drive drive full COVERAGE MEXICAN insurance is a month. In spite of what many will say do not trust your CC or US coverage. If you get into an accident without full Mexico Coverage you WILL GO TO JAIL! No matter who's fault it is. In lots of damage or any personal injury you can be there a long time. Never NEVER drive highways at night! Livestock, many Many Topes (Speed bumps) & a occasional bad guy or two make that very hazardess.
Now having said that I have driven in Mexico with no problem.
I have taken the bus a lot more with never a problem. First class buses are much like first class seats on airline. They recline, have footrests & are huge. Bathrooms on buses 7 most show movies many in English with Spainsh sub titles. I'd take the bus.
PS Major cities such as Morelia, Guadalajara & especially Mexico City are very hard to drive in.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 02:37 PM

Sorry that should read Full Mexican Insurance is a MUST. Not a month.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

I had read some of those things, but thanks for pointing those out. Yes, I would avoid driving within ALL mid to large cities.

I'm still debating doing Bus. Bus in some ways removes a lot of worries. Ya, I'd prob do 1st class mostly but might attempt a few Chicken Buses. On Costa Rica trip, we did a chicken bus in a rural part and loved it -- a memorable experience being with all the locals on a full bus with just 1 other couple the only tourists. (and carefully watching our packs of course.) Similar experience in Thailand.

That said... of course another alternative is to just drive the first portion of trip and then switch to buses the rest of the time? Insurance is roughly $200.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 03:09 PM

I once took a second class bus for 6 1/2 hours from Manzanillo to Lazaro Cardenas. after a short stop in Tecoman allowing a Banos stop the next 5 1/2 was stops on to let people off or let on. I was the only gringo on that bus & the only person other than the driver who went the entire way. It was a fabulous trip with all of Mexico getting on & off that bus. Peddlers, musicians, carpenters, plumbers, families, school Kids, mothers, lovers you name it.
I count it as one of my life's best days!
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 05:18 PM

If you think you can handle the difference in driving styles, I think more than anything else, security of the vehicle is an issue. The biggest hassle I have found in Mexico is finding secure parking. If you don't, your vehicle will get broken into. Your comments make me think of of some people I once met in Real de Catorce. First night sleeping in the pickup they awoke to people trying to get in not realizing anyone was in the camper shell. In towns of any size you can find secure parking, smaller towns your run a big risk if you leave it on the street and go elsewhere for a while. I drive in Mexico, but my choice is busing. You can bus almost anywhere. First class for long hauls, local buses for everything else. I have been in really rural places and the next thing you know a bus comes chugging along that will get you to a bus station. There are also colectivos in the south and various other public transportation. Driving yourself certainly gives you freedom, but it causes you to have to spend more time guarding your stuff. Last, you need to be really careful in the border areas, as I expect you know, crime has really gone over the top in some of the border towns other are o.k. Lots of research in advance will do you well.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Dude, and Stewbear; that's the sort of advice I need as I research -- people with some experience doing a lot of driving there.

So that's the whole issue: whether vehicle is safe or will get broken into. Also considering that I would have to leave it sometimes with it being obvious that there's some gear inside. I mentioned having a mtn. bike along: in a perfect world, I'd like to go biking around a town or just outdoors and come back hours later with nothing amiss. I was intending on having a laptop along too in the vehicle.

And part of the idea of having own car was wanting to hit lots of smaller towns, but as you said, maybe I'm being too optimistic that vehicle would be okay.

I already knew I might daily have to try to find secure parking, but I don't know how hard that is and you said could be big hassle. I was also intending to install an extra padlock on the pickup canopy; plus extra cable lock on bike.

Yes, I was going to avoid the border area.

I'm researching more and it appears there are some inexpensive domestic flights? For instance, to not have to bus so far... fly from Juarez or Phoenix or someplace, way down to southern Mex. or even Guat. City; and then work my way back north by buses visiting like a dozen places or so, with more time for each one. Rather than bus all the way down and then ALL the way back up again. You may see me do other post inquiring on domestic flights.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 06:45 AM

Friends of our drive each year from Calgary to Chetumal. They do this because their dog is too large for the airlines to be willing to fly, and they spend the winters in Belize.

Last trip was not pleasant for them. The husband half of the couple ended up in a small room with about 20 Mexican police officers. He still really isn't sure what the purpose was, but, after some money exchanged hands, they were on their way.

He says they have to drive back to Canada this spring, but, he's not sure he's willing to risk driving back down next fall.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 07:00 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
To me a bus trip would be more fun. To me the hassles of driving, insurance, maintenance (no one has mentioned dealing with a mechanical problem should it arise) add on the peculiarities of driving in Mexico, the worries would not be worth the 'freedom' of being able to get to really remote places.

Personally I'd map out an idea where you want to go and then find the available bus routes.

Originally written in the 70's updated last 2002, I think "The People's Guide to Mexico" by Carl Franz is still a timely handbook worth reading. It covers both bus and car travel and all kinds of important topics for someone going to Mexico for the 1st time for an more adventurous trip like you propose.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 05:44 PM

Well, DW and I just spent a week driving over 800 miles around the Yucatan. Stayed away from the cities, as we were doing lots of ruins. No problems at all. Miltary checkpoints in Campeche, Federal Police in Quintana Roo, no problems. In fact, they were very friendly. We'd go to the little towns, eat the the 1 and 2 table mom & pop cafes, and treat the locals with respect.

Now, I'm middle-aged, grey-haired and had my rolling walker in the back seat of the crappy little Nissan rental car, so when stopped for an inspection, I did not look much like a drug king. I also speak Spanish, which helps. No bribes, no hassles.

dave
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 01:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Finally an interesting post on Mexico and it's over two years old!
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 07:49 PM

There's a great blog online somewhere in which a couple of recent college grads drive from San Diego across SW US to Mexico to the InterAmerican Highway and all the way south to the Panama Canal. They then stowed the truck in a shipping container and went on to South America, to continue their drive there. They detailed quite well their entire drive, where they stayed and what they encountered.

I read it online in the last 6 months ago, so I'll see if I can find it.

I also speak Spanish and have had to get out my wallet to contribute to the local economy in different countries, regardless of what language I was speaking. I do think, though, that it cost me less than it would have cost my blue-eyed platinum blonde hubby without me.

We consider it an extra departure tax.
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 07:59 PM

Now, the links below are mostly related to driving to South America, so you can do some additional searches and pick and choose among these, but there are some really great blogs out there about similar trips:

Here's one: http://www.99daystopanama.com/

Another http://www.gonomad.com/transports/06...the_world.html

http://www.go-panamerican.com/index.php

More:

http://www.drivetosouthamerica.com/Links/Journals.html
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 08:02 PM

Oh! And this one... which answers some of your questions above:

http://www.go-panamerican.com/road-tips.php