Doral Beach - Puerto la Cruz, Venezuela

Old Feb 2nd, 1998, 05:20 PM
Jennifer Brown

Doral Beach - Puerto la Cruz, Venezuela

I've been reading horror stories about this resort in various forums on the net. I'm booked to go on March 5th with Regent out of Toronto. Our travel agent advised us that the resort was plundered by the former owners a couple of years ago, but recently has made great improvements. I'd love to hear from anyone who's been there recently, specifically since Dec./97. Would also like to hear from anyone else who may have suggestions on what to see and do in Puerto la Cruz. Much appreciated! Jennifer

Old Feb 15th, 1998, 10:57 PM
Busche

Barquisimeto, Maricaibo, and Caracas...need information on transportation, better hotels, and good snorkelling beaches in the area. We are also going to Quibor. I know it will be a rigourous trip but would like to avoid hassels.

Old Feb 25th, 1998, 06:17 AM
Marty

We stayed there last February and enjpyed it very much. Some guests were not happy and I would suspect they would find fault where ever they were especially if they could exact a refund.Let's face it the price was most attractive and the people were trying very haed to make your visit nice and the weather was marvellous. Lots of security, but don't stray onto the beach at nightr alone.
Have a great trip.

Old Mar 19th, 1998, 08:52 AM
V.Thompson

A group of four of us visited the Doral Beach Resort last year and had a vacation nightmare. The staff was extremely rude, unable or unwilling to speak English. Not even a smile! Although our 2-story apartments were acceptable (the usual water and air conditioning problems that can be expected) we heard horror stories from other guests about cockroaches and extremely dirty rooms in some the blocks. The bar ran out of rum several times and it was very difficult (even with a tip) to get the bartender to make anything other than his choice of drinks. We had personal theft of belongings from our room, and talked to others who had their luggage looted en route to the resort.We did complain to the Regent rep. and noticed that she had a stack of complaints on her desk about two inches thick. The food was monotonous,(same thing every day) no salt or pepper (bring your own). We dined out at a little plaza across the street to the right of the resort and found the food and service wonderful. The scenery was beautiful, as was the weather. We went on a boat cruise to three small islands that we arranged at the resort at a little booth beside the Regent rep.'s office. This was the highlight of our vacation. We would highly recommend it. The name of the boat was the Bleu Dijon, the captain was Ricardo. We heard about the marketplace in Puerto la Cruz and decided to check it out, but the shopping wasn't what it was cracked up to be. If you do go into Puerto la Cruz by cab, arrange the fare with the driver before you leave the resort. He'll tell you how much it costs. (I think about $5. Cdn.) Most of the guests at the resort who we talked to were not satisfied with the Doral Resort, and although Regent absolved themselves of any liability, it was interesting to notice that they have changed the Doral's rating from a 4-star to a 3-star. I've read several complaints at Sympatico forums (don't know if you can access that) and it seems like the Doral (or Regent) or both are cleaning up their act since last year. We hope you enjoy your holiday more than we did. Good luck!

Old Mar 8th, 1999, 02:06 PM
Bill

Neither ReJect Tours - Transat or the Doral Beach have cleaned up their act. Because of a peeing contest with the new robber barons in Barcelona our direct flight from TO was a sixteen hour oddessy by plane, boat and bus via Margarita Is. Robberies from locked rooms were a daily occurance, not necessarily the maids, too many keys around. Hoes drilled the cielings with sight lines of the entire unit, walk in closets from the roof of second story units, young woman from Amsterdam lost her wedding ring and jewelry while taking a shower and her honeymoon hubby was complaining to the teflon managers {no hablo inglas - except profanity} about a previous in room theft. A beautiful property managed by clowns who couldn't run a 7-11 and an equally inept airline to get you there.

Old Oct 15th, 1999, 01:33 PM
mary

I don't know why everyone is led to El Morro or La Lecheria hotels when going to Puerto La Cruz. Try the Hotel Neptuno on the Paseo Colon. Family owned & run, nice people, good food, great staff, and right on the Paseo!

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 07:27 PM
katie moore

Dear Jennifer,
My name is Katie, and I went to Doral Beach last May with my Senior class. We really enjoyed ourselves, and although the hotel was being fixed up in some parts, it was fairly nice...at least I thought so. I would advise that you go snorkeling and maybe parasailing or jet-skiing, although those are seasonal activities. Shopping was fun, too.

Enjoy,
Katie

Old Nov 7th, 1999, 11:52 PM
hhansell

We stayed in the Paseo Colon area at El
Rastril Hotel. We had a good experience there. I would recommend an excursion to Mochima National Park. From there you can take a boat ride to many pristine beaches such as Playa Blanca and Cautaro. Playa Colorada on the way to Mochima is very scenic with its reddish sand and coconut trees with mountainous terrain in the background.
For the person who wants advice on the Barquisimeto area, I would recommend taking an excursion to Morrocoy National Park. The cays there are beautiful. Cayo Sombrero has a beautiful beach with decent snorkeling.

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 01:12 PM
Brenda

This was the WORST holiday we have ever taken. There were not enough chairs around the pools which resulted in IDIOTS

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 01:15 PM
Brenda

This was the WORST holiday we have ever taken. There weren't enough lounge chairs around the pool and low-life idiots got up at like 4 a.m. to CLAIM their chairs for the day. The food was inedible (and I'm not picky). We had to leave the resort to eat. Also, during our stay there were (it seemed) a disproportionate number of RUDE French Canadians. We had been told by our travel agent (former!) that it was 4 stars. I would give it -4 stars.

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 03:29 PM
Bertie

Sorry, guess things haven't changed at the Doral.. Went there several years ago and early at7:00 a.m. all the chairs on the beach and around the pool were taken.. At the time I was a travel agent...I went up to the manager..his name was Angel..gave him my card and read him the riot act.. that I would not send clients...I was going off the resort and would spend my $$ elsewhere..etc. etc. The next morning he was up early and emptied all the chairs..there was chaos.. There was one elderly lady--French-Canadian (rudest tourists I have ever met) and she was holding down about a dozen chairs.. I sat on one..she screamed at me...I sat..a fellow American went over and told her she was a poor example of people from her country, etc. etc. and since he was a policeman he read her the riot act.. I stayed until I was darn good and ready to leave.. What they had done was pay the beach boy to cover the chairs when they got there..Chairs sit there at the pool and beach ALL day long without anybody in them. The classic story about the Doral is that we were going to watch the show from a balcony and a friend was sitting there at the table having a drink..when we sat down a French-Canadian "gentleman" came over and wanted to know when we were going to leave...he said he wanted our table.. and that is the G-d's honest truth...so we sat and enjoyed our supper and drinks and watched the show.. I am a very friendly now elderly lady.. and always say good morning in spanish or english when passing people.. unfortunately this group were absolutely obnoxious.. and put their head down.. At the same resort as we went to get on a bus..we were roughly pushed out of the way by some of that group.... Talk about Ugly Americans..If that wasn't insult enough while going to the Jazz Club along the Malecon on the way home the cab drivers did not want to pick us up..they thought we were Canadian...my husband showed the driver our business card.. On the other hand..while being driven back by a taxi driver I mentioned I would love some fresh pineapple..we could find none.. later that night the same driver brought us a fresh pineapple all cut up..

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 03:34 PM
Bertie

The best part I left out..while reading the riot act to Angel.. he told me I could sit on the sand... I told him in no uncertain language that I save all year round for my vacation and I do not expect to sit on the sand like a peasant... Feisty lady wasn't I.. e went off the resort miles somewhere, took a boat to a little island and had the most wonderful time..and lunch cooked by the fishermen on the side...

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 09:05 AM
dnorrie

Well, I am Canadian and even I have to admit that French Canadians are the rudest people - It is an embarressment to the rest of the country. Having got that out of the way, we stayed at the Doral Beach in 1990 and loved it so we went back in 1998 - BIG mistake. It was a disaster - all that has been told to you above is true and maybe worse. So we moved to the expensive resort across the way - I can't remember the name (maybe Melia) - the rooms were small and very expensive but certainly the food and atmosphere was much better. However, for three days we either had no water or the water was brown and the management refused even a partial reduction in rates. We stayed our first 3 nights at the Hotel Rasil on Paseo Colon and I had the worst case of food poisening I have ever had.

As we had flown to Puerto la Cruz in 1990, we decided to hire a taxi to drive there and see the countryside in 1998. It was without a doubt the scariest time of my life. The drivers and roads are unbelievably bad. Wow, what else can I say without sounding like a whiner which I don't mean to.

We just wanted to go back to Venezuela as it had been so great in 1990 but the change was incredible.

I wouldn't go back to Venezuela - since the coup in the mid '90's they have suffered greatly.

Puerto la Cruz has grown so rapidly that the city cannot keep up in terms of sewage, sanitation, etc. If you have a choice, you may want to try somewhere else.

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 09:11 AM
dnorrie

Just an additional note to the above, the hotel across the way was the MareMares.

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 12:03 PM
Parrot Mom

Must agree with Bertie...Dnorrie, have run into the same situation..can you tell me as a Canadian..why that particular group has some a terrible reputation, do they have an inferiority complex?

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 12:51 PM
Val

Bertie,Please do not think all Canadians are like most of our French Canadians.MAny of us feel the same way about them esp.when it comes to lines,taking over chairs,pushiness and rudeness.We have had the same problems with them.Why they are like that I do not know but they give the rest of us Canadians a bad reputation.
Now for the Doral Jennifer it was the worst trip we have ever taken and we have been on quite a few.We actually spent extra and MADE them move us to another hotel but we had to pay more but it was worth every cent!!Also Regent did nothing to help us there or after our return.Good luck!!

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 09:11 PM
dnorrie

Parrot Mom - I don't think it is an inferiority complex but the opposite - they think they are God's gift to this earth. We have had to put up with their antics for years and frankly are sick to death of them. In 1990 in Venezuela, we had booked a day trip and some French Canadians had booked with us. When they learned we were from Western Canada, they refused to go with us which was the best thing that could have happened! I don't even like to refer to them as Canadians but rather Quebecqois malcontents. Nothing pleases them - we hope that all Canadians don't get branded by their standards.

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 05:09 AM
Parrot Mom

What's interesting is that we have met many fun loving Canadians (not French-Candians) and will be taking a cruise with six or them who I truly have NEVER MET..except over the internet..it just seems to me personally that when in the Dominican Republic, Mexico or Venezuela their reputation is pretty horrendous.. I say..give them their own country and cut them off... Parrot Pop and I have "picked" up several people for a cruise to Bermuda from a previous cruise, we are pretty outgoing and I do find it insulting when you say Hello that people push right by you rudely..and that they are from that area.. But what the heck...they certainly can't put a damper on my fun and enjoyment..

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 06:10 AM
dnorrie

Hi Parrot - I am sure you will have fun with your cruise. Quebecqois just have a giant chip on their shoulder. If it were possible to get rid of them, good riddance but it would polarize our country with possibly devastating effects to the eastern provinces. The eastern provinces have enough of a struggle as it is. Next time a Quebecqois pushes you out of his/her way, just do the same back. Rude seems to be the only "language" they truly understand.

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 06:32 AM
Parrot Mom

We have a saying.."non-illigitimi carborandum"..the spelling might not be right..but it means.. "don't let the baxxxxxxds wear you down".. and that has to be my philosophy...why should they ruin my vacation.. Oh well.. 46 more days to Punta Cana...and warm weather..Thanks