Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Don't go horseback riding in Mexico! (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/dont-go-horseback-riding-in-mexico-49727/)

tom Jul 30th, 1999 11:15 AM

Don't go horseback riding in Mexico!

Some friends of ours were on a horseback riding tour in Cancun. They were held up, tied up, threatened with rape and death, jewelry and money stolen. Watch out!

PT Jul 30th, 1999 12:59 PM

Dear Tom, <BR>I certainly understand your concern regarding your friends horrible experience in Cancun, I think it is a "blanket statement" to "Don`t go horseback riding in Mexico!" There is crime and violence worldwide....I wondor how many people were robbed-beaten today all over the U.S.? So, "don`t go there"?¨" It is an extremely rare occurance for this type of crime to happen in any tourist area in Mexico. I live in Puerto Vallarta, have a ranch and would like anyone and everyone to know we select very safe trails, open, do not put any of our clients at any type of safety risk at all. At least on our side of Mexico, it is, as I said, extremely, extremely rare to have an incident as you mentioned. Thank you very much for listening to the other side of the coin. <BR>

Spearhead Jul 30th, 1999 09:04 PM

WOW! Don't go walking in San Francisco. A tourist was killed here a few months ago walking through an upscale neighborhood. Don't go to Yosemite either. Very well publicized killings of three women visiting a few months back. Don't go to New York City. Tourists have been killed there too. <BR> <BR>

Don Aug 1st, 1999 01:38 PM

A a recent trip to PV, two of us were injured while horseback riding. One was hospitalized with a punctured lung as well as a fractured vertabrae and had to stay down in Mexico for 10 extra days. My advice, no inexperienced riders should even consider horesback riding in Mexico!

Cheryl Z. Aug 1st, 1999 02:37 PM

<BR>Believe I have to agree with PT. I've been riding alot in Puerto Vallarta, never felt threatened, but have been with guides. Have gone with a group up thru the hills and rivers, and also along the beach and thru town. I'm picky about the horses in general and will not give my business (money) to someone if the horses are not in good condition and treated humanely. I do believe it's possible that, just as anywhere else, there could be a problem with bandits, a dangerous horse, etc. but I wouldn't hesitate to go again. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Pam Aug 3rd, 1999 01:15 PM

I leave next Thursday for Cancun and horseback riding is exactly what I wanted to do. Why did I have to read this board. You ruined my vacation.lol

tom Aug 4th, 1999 01:56 PM

Pam, <BR> <BR>You sound like someone who doesn't like to face the truth. I ruined your vacation! Maybe I saved your life. Get over it and do something else in Cancun. You sound like a whiney bitch.

Pam Aug 4th, 1999 07:32 PM

Touchy Touchy Touchy! Get A life Tom!