Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Doing Cano Negro tour from La Carolina Lodge...questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/doing-cano-negro-tour-from-la-carolina-lodge-questions-703876/)

capecodgal May 9th, 2007 03:32 PM

Doing Cano Negro tour from La Carolina Lodge...questions

For our second trip to CR we won't be going to Arenal again. We will be staying at La Carolina Lodge for a couple of nights and wondered about doing the Cano Negro tour from there. Bill the owner said we could get there even quicker than from Arenal. Since we will have our own car I suppose we would drive ourselves to ?? and then get a boat guide from there. How much do you think this would cost? Is the tour nice in August? Would it be hard finding a guide once at Cano Negro?? Would any of you try this without a guide to actually drive you there?

shillmac May 9th, 2007 05:47 PM

Hi Capecodgal,
Bill told us about this option as well, and we were undecided last year as to whether to spend 3 nights at Arenal (and do Cano Negro from there) or 3 nights at La Carolina (doing CN from there).

We decided to stay a 3 nights at Arenal and 2 at La Carolina, so we did CN from Arenal.

To answer your question, yes, we would drive ourselves over there, but I'd also consider asking one of the "guys" at La Carolina to go along to help make arrangements. I think the guys who took us to Tenorio and Rio Celeste (as well as horseback riding) would go. Great guy. I wish I could remember his name. You'll have to give a report when you return and remind me!

Either way, I think you girls will be able to manage just fine. Have a great time! CN is worth the effort.

shillmac May 9th, 2007 05:49 PM

Sorry, didn't mean to say "guys". . .there was only one. He is one of the persons who manages everything in Bill's absence. Extremely reliable and helpful fellow. Spanish only, but if you know a little bit, you can manage.

capecodgal May 10th, 2007 11:25 AM

Many thanks Shillmac. I want to throw a couple of more questions at you if you don't mind. Instead of tacking on a third night at La Carolina to do the Cano Negro tour, I was wondering about the Cano Negro lodge? Or, after the tour driving to our next destination which would be Posada El Encuentro lodge (near Hacienda Guachipelin). Would this be foolish to try considering distance and roads, which I have no idea about either in that area. I am just trying to save from backtracking.

shillmac May 10th, 2007 01:46 PM

I don't know anything about Cano Negro Lodge, although I do remember e-mailing and inquiring about it a couple of years ago. That's certainly an option.

I think I'd just stay the 3 nights at La Carolina--such a restful place and so different. At least you are then in position to have a shorter drive to HG the next a.m.--and can arrive there in time to get your bearings and enjoy the outdoors there a bit.

I don't think I'd try to get to Guachipelin the same day as your Cano Negro tour--that's your LEAST favorable option, my opinion. Too much distance, too late in the day. It's a VERY rough road to HG. You need to be sure you do it in the daylight. Long and rough. Hope this helps a bit.

I'm not looking at a map, just trying to picture those locations in my feeble mind. Hopefully, when you look at the map, what I've said will make sense? When are you leaving? I know I've probably asked you a dozen times over the past months. . .

capecodgal May 10th, 2007 03:58 PM

We will be in CR august 4-19th, doing our jungle adventure stuff first week, beach the second week. I looked at Cano Negro lodge's site. It looks nice but La Carolina looks really great and I know we'll love it there. So if we are to do Cano Negro then we will add the third night. Bill & Karien have been so helpful so far with all my questions.

In the Rincon area I think I have found a really nice place to stay called 'Posada El Encuentro lodge'. Have you heard of this place? It sort of reminds me of what we will be experiencing at La Carolina in that it is owned by Locals who seem so nice and it has gotten good reviews. It's a small place, decent price and the food sounds wonderful. Luis (owner) has been really good at answering my questions for that area. It is located 25 mins. from HG, 45 mins. from Borinquen & Buena Vista.

In doing research I read the natural hotsprings at BV are probably the best for the area. Have you heard otherwise? I would welcome any inside info. on the Rincon area. I think I have the basics covered as to what to do and see.

Many, many thanks Shillmac.
Karen

shillmac May 10th, 2007 06:44 PM

You've got a good handle on everything. Does Bill have a new wife or still a girlfriend? Just curious. .
the "help" (who actually run the place) at LC think he is just a great guy. But I think he's only there about a third of the year. If you get to meet him, do let me know. He sure has some loyal employees, so obviously knows what he's doing.

Yes, I've heard of the place you mentioned, but don't know much about it. You'll be the one to shed the light! We are staying at Borinquen a couple of nights end of July. Would love to meet you guys, but we'll be long gone by the time you get there. Borinquen is more $$ than I wanted to spend, but they upgraded us to a bungalow for the same price, so that satisfied me.

I don't have much info on Rincon. We've been inside the park just twice, and last year for a very short time as I was sick. We didn't get very far on our hike! :( Years ago, we went there with a Swiss Travel tour group and had a great day. We did the megacombo tour and I THINK it is Borinquen where we had our mudbaths and springs treatment and lunch. My knowledge is pretty limited. Hope to know more by the first of August!