Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Does our Puerto Vallarta Lodging Wish List Exist? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/does-our-puerto-vallarta-lodging-wish-list-exist-235085/)

rncgrigg Jan 6th, 2008 08:45 PM

Does our Puerto Vallarta Lodging Wish List Exist?

We're planning our first trip to PV for mid-March and will have our 8 and 5 yr-olds with us. Here is our wish list for a place to stay:

1) beachfront on a sandy beach with "kids swimmable" water
2) swimming pool
3) 2-3 bedroom villa or condo (don't want an AI hotel)
4) reasonable access to old town for shopping and restaurants (maybe within 30 minute drive?)

We're pretty flexible on price...are more focused on trying to find something that hits the wish list. Does this exist in PV? Are we better off considering something on the Riveria Maya? Appreciate the help!!!

suze Jan 7th, 2008 06:27 AM

Sure, you can find that down on Playa Los Muertos (main public beach). It's part of the "Old Town", walking distance to everywhere.

Look at Vallarta Shores, is one very nice place, for example.

Because you mention a 30 mins. drive, you could also look at the town of Bucerias, to the north of PV.

That said, the beaches will be nicer and likely calmer on the Caribbean side.

butsey Jan 7th, 2008 06:57 AM

I now book through Red Week.com. It costs about $15 a year and you can rent a condo from time share owners anywhere, it is so less expensive than a hotel room and you have the amenities. I stay at the Sheraton in Puerto Vallarta and a 1 Br goes for $775 2 Br $950 the 1Br has a king size bed the 2Br has 1 Br w/a king size bed the other room has 2 full beds. Also you get a 20% discount on all food and beverages purchased a t the hotel. The amenities are great because you use all the facilities of the hotel and you also get maid service very day ad they have room service avail 24hrs. If you have any further questions please email me [email protected] I will be glad to help you.

suze Jan 7th, 2008 11:23 AM

www.vallartashores.com/suites

suze Jan 7th, 2008 11:24 AM

lo siento~ doesn't work
www.vallartashores.com

rncgrigg Jan 7th, 2008 01:46 PM

Thanks, Suze. I've read many of your great posts and was hoping you would weigh in on this. Vallarta Shores looks great. Quick question--is the beach here sandy (rather than pebbly) and is the water here gentle enough for little ones? I've really appreciated reading your insight...thanks for being such a great resource for fodorites.

rncgrigg Jan 7th, 2008 01:48 PM

Thanks, Butsey. Redweek looks interesting.

suze Jan 7th, 2008 03:21 PM

The sand is smooth enough all along the beach in this area, but the water is too rough for little kids imo. You will see children in the ocean, but usually their parents are right with them & often the kids are wearing some kind of float or have kickboards or innertubes.

Quiet honestly, as a California-born person, I don't swim in the sea myself in Vallarta. I swim in the hotel pool, and lounge and play around on the sand at the beach. I'd suggest the same for your family.
:-)

suze Jan 7th, 2008 03:24 PM

The two best PV specific websites:
www.allvallarta.com
www.vallarta-info.com

Also the Puerto Vallarta forum on Trip Advisor can sometimes be helpful.

bellaboo Jan 7th, 2008 04:13 PM

www.playa-escondida.com

Not In PV.... but you mentioned 30 min away was ok.

Worth a look as it meets other criteria as well.

rncgrigg Jan 7th, 2008 06:28 PM

Suze--do you have recommendations for beaches that have calmer water where we might try to find a condo? How about Mismaloya? Thanks!

suze Jan 8th, 2008 06:44 AM

I'm sorry, no I really don't.

Out to the north in Nuevo Vallarta heading toward Punta Mita some beaches are calmer. But I'm have no experience renting out that way.

Maybe Bucerias? Which is just 1/2 hour north of PV and is a small town in itself. I know there are condo and villas available there.

suze Jan 8th, 2008 06:47 AM

The recommendation in Sayulita looks very nice. But since that beach is specifically known for surfing, I doubt it is as calm as you are looking for either.

needsun Jan 11th, 2008 11:03 AM

Just got back from PV. No, kids cannot swim in the ocean at least in PV itself and Mismaloya. (Have not tired other beaches except for one on the Northern side by Punta Mita). Strong waves, pebbles that hit your feet and sand that got washed off from under your feet and often make you fall into the water and be covered with your head. That's what happened to me a couple of times. And I am an adult who can swim pretty well. The water is very chilly too, but mostly likely warmer in March. Most people swim in the hotel pools. The only beach my daughter and I actually swam in was Mismaloya right in front of the Barcello Mismaloya La Jolla resort. It's the only beach (from the ones that we have been) that has lifeguards and designated ocean area surrounded by buoys. To be honest we and a few teenagers were the only ones swimming.

suze Jan 11th, 2008 11:28 AM

Good point! (no lifeguards on the public beaches)

cabron Jan 12th, 2008 08:32 AM

There are lifeguards on Los Muertos beach

suze Jan 12th, 2008 08:26 PM

really? is that something new?

(thanks for the correction, cabron, i just don't remember ever seeing them)

bellaboo Jan 15th, 2008 06:09 AM

Just to clarify for the OP. The beach my recomondation is on is not the same beach as the main surfing beach in Sayulita.

bellaboo Jan 15th, 2008 06:43 AM

Sorry! Typo, lol.
Meant to say the hotel I mentioned in the above link is not on the main surfing beach in town.

needsun Jan 15th, 2008 11:19 AM

I have not seen any lifeguards on the Los Muertos beach.But saw a few groups of teenagers smoking and drinking beer.