Do we need a car in Playa del Carmen?

Sep 22nd, 2003, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Do we need a car in Playa del Carmen?

We are leaving for Royal Hideaway in two weeks (can't wait). The question is do we need a car to do some side trips, such as Xcaret, Aktun Chen, etc. Would we be more comfortable with a car, or can we just as well use public transportation, tours or cabs? Is there free parking at the different sites or do they charge to park? I reserved (without obligation) a car for 3 days at a reasonable rate - I just don't know if we really need it.
Thanks to all replies.
Barbara
Sep 22nd, 2003, 12:16 PM

I personally would take the car. The biggest reason is that you are on your own schedule. So not only can you do the different sites, but view different beaches. The buses are handy but still a hassle and not sure about paying for parking. I do know the tours will cost more than admission and again you are on their schedule not yours.
Sep 22nd, 2003, 03:29 PM

I second the vote to take the car.

If you have it, you don't have to DEPEND on somebody else's bus schedule or whatever. Given that the Yucatan is SOOOO easy to drive around in, I'd do the car in a heartbeat. Plus it gives you the opportunity to visit some of the places that are just a little more difficult to visit if you rely on public transit -- like Tulum.

Of course you could also roll your own day trip to someplace a bit further afield, like Chichen Itza. That's what I'd do...

Have fun!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Sep 23rd, 2003, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. One concern I have in taking the car is what additional insurance do I need? Here in the states, I would not take additional insurance, but I've read that you have to be careful about it in Mexico and it is wise to take their insurance. But I don't want to spend a whole lot more and there seems to be lots of supplemental insurances to pick from. Any info would be appreciated.
Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:30 AM

I'll be the dissenter and say that you really don't need a car. We took a $5 cab into downtown PDC when we wanted to go shopping, and we took tours to go snorkeling and see ruins. It was much easier to just meet the tour bus and not have to worry about driving, getting lost, etc.
Sep 23rd, 2003, 06:58 PM

We went last winter and rented a card for 3 days. Next time I would rent for the whole week. We loved driving around to different places and beaches. The tours are very overpriced and the collectivos are ok but they leave you off on the main road and it is a long - hot walk to wherever from there. If you have a decent credit card in the US - - they should cover all the indurance you need. Call and check with yours. You do however need to have enough credit on it to pay for the value of the car if it is destroyed. Chances are very good that it won't become an issue. We loved the whole PDC area - - enjoy!
Oct 9th, 2003, 05:00 AM

Hi

My wife and I went to Playa del Carmen on vacation a couple of years back. We didn't have any problem getting around without a car. We took local buses to get to Xcaret, Akumal, Chichen Itza, Cancun and so on. I have posted a trip report together with some pictures on my homepage www.gardkarlsen.com by the way Maybe you can find some useful information there.

Have a great trip

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Nov 4th, 2003, 06:49 AM

Hi. I was also thinking of staying in Playa del Carmen without a car. I'd be interested in knowing how long it takes to get to Chichen Itza and some of the other ruins by bus. My guidebook doesn't provide the details. Also, is it better to fly in to Cancun or Cozumel. I'll be coming from Washington, DC, if that matters and I think Continental flys to both. Finally, I've noticed thunderstorms in the 10-day forecast for that area right now. I assume the weather will be nice by the end of November?