Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Do I need a permission letter to travel alone with my minor niece?

Do I need a permission letter to travel alone with my minor niece?

Old Apr 26th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,008
oops...accidentally hit post

So I had no letter when I crossed into Cananda by car in 1995 and again my hubby was not with us. It was just my daughter, my mother and me. We were in a van and they asked my daughter to open the side door and asked her personally all kinds of questions about who we were (my mother and I), where we were from and why we were going into Canada, etc.

Better to be safe than sorry.
Deb15July is offline  
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,885
When you leave Costa Rica, you show your passports right before you go through airport security. That's the point at which you officially exit the country. They have a separate line there for families traveling with minors. Everyone always says, oh, isn't that nice that they do this for families, but you are required use that line. That's the point at which they give you a once-over to make sure nothing looks suspicious. I would get the notarized letter just in case there are any questions. That could be one point at which there are, especially if your niecehas a different last name than yours.
Jeff_Costa_Rica is offline  
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 3,750
Deb - I can personally vouch that Canada is tougher than CR. LOL!

Jeff - I must space out at SJO because I don't remember the separate line at all. I will have to pay more attention next time. ;-)

I believe better safe than sorry too, but after checking and double checking I do feel the quote I posted above from the consulate was valid at the time this thread was originally posted.
hipvirgochick is offline  
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,154
Ah, I've seen that line and did always think they were just being nice - makes sense now.
volcanogirl is offline  
Old May 12th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 3
I am about to buy airline tickets to fly to Costa Rica with my wife, daughter (16) and her friend (16) for a summer vacation this coming August.

I know that my daughter's friend needs to have a Parental Consent Form signed by her parents.

My question is, my daughter's friend is raised by her mom. Her father is not to living with them and no where to be found. Is her mother signature on the form is enough?
marcel376 is offline  
Old May 14th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,937
Don't know the answer to the last question. I took my granddaughter from the US to London. I had notarized letter from parents. I was asked for it at Emigration. I produced the letter. The official was surprised. He said too many people do not have them. Good to have it. Plus the medical release. I did not have it before but will have it now.
Elainee is offline  
Old May 16th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 276
I travelled to Europe with my 16 year old neice last summer. I posted on the forum and someone sent me this link which I had notarized and used for my trip. I never needed it, but it gave me peace of mind.

kelbo is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Mexico & Central America
Jan 4th, 2010 07:40 AM
United States
Apr 10th, 2007 09:17 PM
Air Travel
Jan 30th, 2006 06:28 PM
Mexico & Central America
Nov 3rd, 2005 08:05 AM
Mexico & Central America
Jun 4th, 2003 09:04 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information